A MAN who screamed and swore at hospital staff and police right outside a busy maternity ward has been sentenced.

Harvey Gough, of Heol Hyfryd in Gwersyllt, appeared for sentence at Wrexham Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

The 19-year-old had previously admitted one offence of assaulting an emergency worker, which took place on October 23 last year.

Prosecutor Rhian Jackson told the court that on that afternoon, police were called to Wrexham Maelor Hospital due to Gough's behaviour outside the maternity ward.

When officers arrived at the scene, Gough told them: "They won't let me see the baby - I'm not moving until I see the baby."

The police told Gough he wasn't wanted on the ward, to which he replied: "I don't give a f***, I want to see my daughter."

Gough continued to behave in an aggressive manner, swearing and shouting.
He told the officers to "shut up," telling them: "I'm the f****** father for f***'s sake.

"It's a f****** joke."


Despite being told again that he was causing a scene right outside the maternity ward, he continued.

A police sergeant who had arrived to assist put her hand on the defendant's arm in an attempt to guide him away from the location, but he pushed her to the chest, causing her to step back.

As a result, he was arrested with the help of two hospital security guards.

Ms Jackson said while the sergeant wasn't injured, Gough's behaviour had an impact on the wider hospital environment, which at the time was "busy."

Staff had been taken away from their work to deal with him, and he'd had an earlier "skirmish" with a midwife - screaming at her with such force that spittle came out of his mouth and landed on her clothing.

Doors between corridors had to be closed during the incident as hospital staff had concern for the wellbeing of mums and babies on the maternity ward - who would have heard all of his behaviour due to him being right outside.

Ms Jackson played police bodycam footage of the defendant's conduct to the court.

Lorraine McClure, defending, told the court: "I think from the footage you can see how this is a really unfortunate set of circumstances.

"It became more problematic and unfolded when the police arrived.

"He has been diagnosed with what is known as inattentive ADHD - he explained he has a form of tunnel-vision and in this particular circumstance, there were a lot of people talking and he could only cope with speaking to one at a time.

The Leader:

"It doesn't excuse what he does, which was simply panic.

"He does understand this is something he shouldn't have done."

Ms McClure said Gough's relationship with his ex-partner had broken down during her pregnancy.

And while she had messaged him simply to inform him their child had been born on the day in question, he interpreted that as an invitation to visit - which it was not.

The court handed down an 18-month community order with 20 days of rehabilitation activity and a two month tagged curfew.

Gough must pay £85 costs and a £114 victim surcharge.