A WREXHAM man who carried out a disgraceful and shocking assault on his ex-partner in public has been spared jail.

Theo Mertakkas, of Huntsmans Corner, appeared for sentence at Wrexham Magistrates Court on Monday afternoon.

The 28-year-old had previously admitted two offences of assault by beating and one of criminal damage.

He also admitted two further offences on the day of the sentence; one of driving whilst disqualified and another of driving with no insurance.

Prosecutor Justin Espie told the court the first offences of assault and damage happened on November 12 last year at the home of his ex-partner Amy Jones, with whom he has a child.

Police were called at around 11am to reports that he was in the property and wouldn't leave.

Mr Espie said Mertakkas had grabbed a metal pole and pinned Ms Jones to a bed, telling her words to the effect that he would "smash the place up."

The use of his force to pin her to the bed constituted the assault and he did use the pole to damage two TVs worth some £1,500.

Mr Espie said the motoring offences occurred on January 13, when Mertakkas was stopped in Bangor on Dee and admitted he was banned - as well as having no insurance.


On January 16, at around 10pm, Ms Jones was out in Liverpool with friends.

At that time, the defendant was under bail conditions not to contact or approach her.

But to her shock, he appeared while she was on the night out and asked to speak to her.

When Ms Jones told Mertakkas he should not be speaking to her, he got angry and kicked her to the stomach, before slapping her to the face with an open palm.

Mertakkas handed himself in to police in Wrexham the next day.

Ms Jones was left with a bruised face and side following the attack.

In her statement, read to the court by Mr Espie, she said: "I was in shock to see him in Liverpool.

"I knew he'd react badly if he thought I was talking to another man.

"I felt violated by his actions - kicking me and calling me names in public.

"I am in fear of him. He's violent and unpredictable when under the influence of alcohol."

Probation officer Pamela Roberts said: "He said he had been in a relationship with the victim for two-and-a-half years.

"The victim, in her statement, said the relationship was volatile and [Mertakkas] does accept this.

"When asked what the cause was, he said it was infidelity in the relationship, which caused friction."

Alun Williams, defending, told the court: "He fully admitted the offences.

"He had been disqualified from driving for drug driving and at the time felt at a low ebb.

"The most serious allegation is the Liverpool offence.

"He'd gone out with his dad and a group of friends - I accept it looks suspicious, but it was a pre-arranged trip to celebrate his birthday.

"It was exceptionally unfortunate he bumped into her but he accepts that in frustration he kicked out and pushed her to the face."

Debbie McKinnel, Chair of the Bench, told Mertakkas: "This was disgraceful behaviour towards someone who at one stage loved and trusted you.

"You hit her in a very public space. It's an absolutely shocking incident and let's hope it's not repeated."

The court handed down a 12 week custodial sentence, but suspended it for 18 months.

The Leader:

Mertakkas must undertake a 120 day alcohol monitoring requirement, as well as paying a fines totalling £120, compensation of £1,500 for the broken TVs, a victim surcharge of £154 and two sets of costs at £85 each.

"Probation are willing to work with you," Ms McKinnel told him.

"They can see a realistic chance of turning you around and we have confidence you will engage."

An 18-month restraining order was made for the protection of the victim.

And the court handed down a six month driving ban to run consecutive the defendant's ongoing driving ban, making it around 18 months in total from Monday's hearing.