MEMBERS of the Senedd are urging families on low incomes to apply for a Welsh Government grant of up to £200 towards school costs.

The School Essentials Grant can provide up to £200 to help families on lower incomes with things such as school uniforms, shoes, bags and sports kit.

Last year the grant helped 100,055 children in Wales, including almost 7,500 across Wrexham and Denbighshire.

Wrexham MS Lesley Griffiths said: “I know that during the cost-of-living crisis many families will be anxious about making sure children have all they need. This grant can help children with some of the barriers to attending and feeling comfortable in school, as well as taking part in activities.

“With the cold months approaching, the grant can also help with essentials such as coats or shoes.”


You can find out if you are eligible for the grant and claim support here.

Ken Skates, whose Clwyd South constituency includes Wrexham and Denbighshire, said: “Families who receive certain benefits can claim £125 per child per year to help with school costs and, because of the extra cost families might face when their children start secondary school, £200 is available for pupils going into Year 7.

“Families of children receiving Free School Meals should still check their eligibility for the School Essentials Grant, but you must register your eligibility for the grant through your local council – you won’t get it automatically. The school will also get extra funding through the Pupil Development Grant, which is used to provide extra help for children from lower income homes.”

Clare Stephens, deputy headteacher at St Anne’s Catholic Primary School in Wrexham, said: “The School Essentials Grant can be a lifeline for our learners. It helps make sure children come to school with the equipment and uniform they need to learn.

“When families check their eligibility for support like this, it helps schools get more funding which has a really positive impact on our learners. I would urge anyone who thinks they might be eligible to check with their local authority now and apply for support.”