FLINTSHIRE Council has responded to concerns about extinguishers being removed at a block of flats that suffered a fire over the weekend.

On Sunday evening, a fire broke out at a flat on Willow Court in Connah's Quay.

The cause of the fire was a discarded cigarette, and led to a man being taken to hospital due to smoke inhalation.

Following the incident, a resident living in one of the council-owned flats raised concerns about the authority removing fire extinguishers.

David McLachlan said: "It's actually quite frightening that Flintshire Council has taken the fire extinguishers out of our block. We've had at least two fires before they were taken away and not replaced.

"We have fire alarms in the flats but no means of actually extinguishing a fire if it was to start, no fire blankets or anything."

Responding to the concerns, a spokesperson for Flintshire Council said: "The council was made aware of the unfortunate incident on Sunday evening, and we immediately dispatched our on call teams to attend and support our residents and Emergency Service partners. Welfare checks were completed at the time and further visits were undertaken the following morning.

"Within this particular block, the extinguishers were removed which is in accordance with national guidance for purpose-built blocks of flats. Depending on the evacuation strategy for the premises, all residents must either stay safe or evacuate the building.

"At The Courts in Connah’s Quay, all residents must evacuate the building(s) immediately and not attempt to tackle a fire when potentially, they do not have the appropriate training to do so."


They added: "It is important that all tenants remain safe at all times, and by attempting to tackle a fire there is potential for the incorrect extinguisher to be used which could lead to the situation becoming more dangerous.

"That may require the fire service to then undertake rescue back into the comprised building.

"Our emergency services responded quickly, as did our own teams. Our residents also followed the evacuation strategy correctly and exited the complex which resulted in a safe and successful evacuation."