A WREXHAM man has been jailed after leading police on a dangerous pursuit through the streets of Oldham in Greater Manchester.

Jerry Berry, of College Fields in Brymbo, drove off at speed through a roundabout before leaping out of the driver’s door as the vehicle was still moving and ran off down an alleyway.

The 36-year-old was quickly apprehended by officers and Berry was charged with dangerous driving, failing to stop, driving while disqualified and using false number plates.

He appeared from custody at Chester Magistrates Court on Tuesday, June 21, where he entered prompt guilty pleas to all the charges. Berry was also charged with two offences dating back to January 21 this year when he was spotted driving a Volkswagen while disqualified in Brymbo.

Read more: Man banned from having a dog for eight years after attack in street

Emily Comer, prosecuting, told the court how a woman in Oldham had called the police at around 10am on Monday, June 20, reporting her Mercedes had been stolen following a burglary at her home.

“She used a tracking app and reported the location of the car to police,” Ms Comer said.

“At around 11am, the white Mercedes displaying false number plates was picked up by a patrol car.

“When officers signalled for the driver to stop, it instead mounted a curb and drove away at speed.

“He drove right through a roundabout, causing another motorist to slam on his brakes.

“After a short foot chase, Berry was eventually arrested.”

Police dashcam footage of the incident was shown to the court, with the police chase lasting no more than 30 seconds.

“There was little or no risk of any personal injury being caused,” Andy Holliday, defending solicitor told the bench.

Read more: Wrexham man fined for shining light at police helicopter

“Although police pursuits would normally be sent to the crown court, it is my understanding that you can now sentence on the matter using your new powers.

“This was not your typical police pursuit you might have seen on the TV – I doubt very much that this one would make the cut.

“There is nothing remarkable about the incident in Brymbo when he was merely identified by officers who were driving in the opposite direction, and he failed to attend a voluntary interview.

“It must be said however, his record speaks for itself.”

The magistrates sentenced Berry to serve 12 months in prison for dangerous driving while there were 26-week concurrent sentences for each driving while disqualified charge.

There was no separate penalty for the other offences.

Berry must also pay £85 in court costs and a £187 surcharge to help fund victim services.