This week, member of the Leader's Local Bygones Facebook group, Richard Jones, from Gwersyllt, focusses on the silver screen, as he looks back at the Glynn Cinema, Wrexham...

The Glynn Cinema which was built next to the Carnegie Library, was a ‘temporary’ cinema building which opened on September 23, 1910.

It was reputed to be the first purpose-built cinema in North Wales at the time.

It was a half-timbered building in a Tudor Revival style on the exterior. Seating in the auditorium was in stalls and circle levels.

Read more from the movies:

The cinema took its name from a gentleman named Glynn Hill, who, with his partner G.E. Bulford, owned the Glynn Animated Picture Company, which operated a small circuit of cinemas in the area, including in Shrewsbury and Chester.

The cinema was independently operated and was located on land taken on a 50-year lease from the council.

By 1959 the lease was about to expire and due to falling business at the time, it was decided not to renew it.

The Glynn Cinema closed with a capacity audience on November 4, 1960, with a screening of Steve Reeves in Hercules Unchained.

The 50 years old ‘temporary’ building was later demolished and the site in present day where the cinema would have stood, is where the Wrexham tourist information building is located.