WREXHAM bounced back from their first defeat of the National League season by beating Aldershot Town 2-0 at The Racecourse.

Stuart Beavon, with his first goal for the club, and Jordan Maguire-Drew both scored in the second half as Wrexham took their tally to 17 points from eight games and returned to the top of the table.

Beaten earlier in the week by Solihull, it was the perfect response by Wrexham who now host Halifax, who they have replaced at the summit, on Tuesday night.

Manager Sam Ricketts made four changes from the side that started the defeat at Solihull.

With centre-back Manny Smith ruled out after suffering a knee injury in the loss, first year professional Doug Tharme came in for his first league start, while Nicky Deverdics was preferred to Luke Young in midfield.

The other two changes were in attack with Beavon and Maguire-Drew replacing Rekeil Pyke and Chris Holroyd, who dropped to the bench along with Young.

Paul Rutherford, back after injury, was also named among the substitutes, but there was no place for new loan signing Brad Walker.

It was a scrappy opening with both teams unable to take the initiative and dominate play.

Defences were on top but Wrexham forced the first corner of the game in the 20th minute which was delivered by Luke Summerfield and Shaun Pearson's header was cleared off the line by Regan Booty.

Deverdics' follow-up failed to trouble the Aldershot goal, while Pearson was first to another corner but his header was blocked by a team-mate and the visitors cleared.

Wrexham enjoyed some good chances as the first half wore on, Summerfield's 25-yard drive was tipped behind by goalkeeper Jake Cole with Beavon going close from the resulting corner.

The Reds came even close four minutes before the break, Mike Fondop robbed defender Josh Lelan outside the area and charged into the area but his shot was saved by Cole.

Aldershot made a lively start to the second half and when Deverdics was caught in possession and Wrexham failed to clear the danger, Jacob Berkeley's effort was blocked and cleared off the line by Mark Carrington.

Buoyed by the opportunity, Aldershot continued to press and Lainton pulled off a good save to keep out Scott Rendell's free header.

Ricketts made his first change in the 57th minute with Young replacing Deverdics and the replacement soon won a corner from which Wrexham took the lead.

Summerfield sent in the set-piece and Beavon rose highest to head home his first Reds goal on 62 minutes.

Wrexham then enjoyed a spell on top, Maguire-Drew's effort from Young's pass blocked by a defender.

Ricketts was forced into a change after 75 minutes with Rutherford coming on for Tharme who was suffering with cramp, meaning Kevin Roberts moved into the centre of defence and Rutherford took over at right-back.

But Wrexham went onto double their lead three minutes later.

Summerfield whipped in a free-kick and Maguire-Drew turned the ball home from close range.

Pyke was sent on for Maguire-Drew in Wrexham's final change and Aldershot should have pulled a goal back but Scott Rendell was unable to convert Dan Holman's cross with only Lainton to beat and the Reds keeper saved.

Luke Howell also failed to hit the target for Aldershot while Fondop fired over for Wrexham, but it didn't matter as Ricketts' men had got the win.

Wrexham (4-3-3): Lainton; Roberts, Tharme (Rutherford 75), Pearson, Carrington; Summerfield, Wright, Deverdics (Young 57); Beavon, Fondop, Maguire-Drew (Pyke 80). Subs not used: Dibble, Holroyd.

Aldershot Town (4-4-1-1: Cole; Bernard, Lelan, Fowler , Kinsella; Wanadio (Fenelon 70), Howell, Booty (Rowe 66), McDonnell; Berkeley-Agyepong (Holman 77); Rendell. Subs not used: Gallagher, Smith.

Referee: Glenn Hart,

Attendance: 4,648 (143 from Aldershot).