MARK HARRIS scored for the third game in a row as Wrexham overcame leaders Halifax Town 1-0 at The Racecourse.

The on-loan striker struck with 12 minutes remaining to help Bryan Hughes' side bounce back from a first defeat of the season at Dover Athletic on Saturday and inflict a first loss of the campaign on leaders Halifax.

The Shaymen were the only team in the National League to win their opening three games but their 100 per cent record was ended by the Reds who finished the game with 10 men after centre-back Jake Lawlor was given his marching orders with the game all-square.

But despite finishing a second game in a row with a man less than their opponents, Wrexham remained in the contest and Harris' strike means Wrexham ended a run of two games without a win and are yet to drop a point at home.

It was also the first clean sheet of the season for Wrexham at the fourth attempt ahead of Sunday's clash at Notts County.

Hughes, who named the same side for the opening three games of the season, made two changes for the visit of Halifax.

Right-back Jazzi Barnum-Bobb came in for his Wrexham debut in place of Mark Carrington, who dropped to the substitutes bench, and Leighton McIntosh replaced Bobby Grant in an attacking role.

Grant's appeal against the red card he was show in the Dover defeat was unsuccessful so he began a three-match ban and there was a place among the substitutes for Adam Barton, another summer signing who didn't feature in the first week of the season.

Wrexham almost made the perfect start as Barnum-Bobb whipped in a cross that was only just beyond Mark Harris and JJ Hooper, and the latter also saw a cross almost turned into his own net by Nathan Clarke but goalkeeper Sam Johnson tipped the ball behind.

That led to three successive corners as Wrexham, who had gone straight at Halifax, kept the pressure on and ended with a Harris effort comfortably saved by Johnson.

Liam Nolan fired well wide with Halifax's first attempt on goal but Wrexham were soon back on the attack and Redmond's shot sailed wide.

Unsurprisingly, the pace that Wrexham began the game slowed down and Halifax almost took the lead in the 27th minute but Christian Dibble pulled off a superb reflex save to keep out Jamie Allen's deflected effort.

Luke Summerfield saw his drive gathered by Johnson but Halifax again tested Dibble who kept out Cameron King's deflected effort.

Shaun Pearson got on the end of a Summerfield corner but Johnson gathered with the last opportunity of the first half.

Wrexham created their best chance of the game eight minutes after the break as Devonte Redmond's drive was brilliantly turned behind by Johnson.

Liam McAlinden couldn't keep his shot down at the other end and Wrexham were dealt a huge blow on 68 minutes when last-man Lawlor was shown a straight red card after bringing down Tobi Sho-Silva on the edge of the area.

With Halifax looking to take advantage of the man advantage, Cameron King fired wide but Wrexham took the lead in the 78th minute.

Paul Rutherford had only just come on for Redmond and he threaded a superb pass through to Harris who guided the ball past Johnson.

JJ Hooper brought a save out of Johnson while Jerome Binnion-Williams headed wide in added time for Halifax and Wrexham got the win they needed.

Wrexham (4-2-3-1): Dibble; Barnum-Bobb, Pearson, Lawlor, Jennings; Summerfield, Young; Harris, Redmond (Rutherford 76), McIntosh (Carrington 70); Hooper (Oswell 89). Subs: Szczepaniak, Barton.

Halifax Town (4-2-3-1): Johnson; Duckworth, Clarke, Brown, Binnion-Williams; Staunton, Nolan; Allen, Cameron King, Jeff King (McAlinden 60); Sho-Silva (Odelusi 81). Subs not used: Appleyard, Earing, Hanson.

Attendance: 5,517.