WREXHAM and Harrogate Town played out an entertaining goalless draw in their top of the table clash.

Both teams went into the game on the back of a defeat, Wrexham losing for a second time this season at Sutton and Harrogate beaten for the first time by Leyton Orient since winning promotion.

But there was nothing cautious about Harrogate's approach as their attacking play caused a lot of problems.

Wrexham soaked up the pressure and hit Harrogate on the break, and it turned into an end to end, open encounter.

Returning leading scorer Mike Fondop had three good chances either side of the break, Harrogate keeper James Belshaw making three crucial saves to earn him the Town man of the match award.

Sam Ricketts side held firm at the other end as Harrogate continued to ask questions as the Reds kept another clean and got a well deserved point.

Ricketts was handed some good news before kick-off with midfield Luke Summerfield winning his appeal against the red card he received in the 3-0 defeat at Sutton.

Summerfield, who has played a key role in Wrexham's fantastic start to the season, kept his place but the starting line-up showed four changes from the side that began Saturday's Gander Green Lane encounter.

Left-back James Jennings was ruled out with a thing injury sustained at the weekend so Mark Carrington came back into the team along with Akil Wright, Mike Fondop and Jordan Maguire-Drew.

Wright slotted into his usual midfield position, allowing Paul Rutherford to move into attack alongside Fondop and Maguire-Drew, meaning it was all change in the front three with Rekeil Pyke, ruled out through injury, Stuart Beavon and Chris Holroyd missing out.

There was also a place among the substitutes for Nicky Deverdics, while former Wrexham loan striker Mark Beck was on the bench for Harrogate.

The hosts made a lively start and Josh Falkingham fired wide with a fourth minute chance.

Wrexham had been kept on the back foot but the Reds had a fantastic opportunity to take the lead moments later.

Warren Burrell under-hit his backpass from Maguire-Drew's long ball forward which Fondop raced onto but the striker was denied by goalkeeper James Belshaw who pulled off a superb save.

Harrogate continued to put Wrexham under pressure and when a free-kick wasn't cleared, Lloyd Kerry's effort was deflected wide for a corner while Rob Lainton spilled Callum Howe's shot across goal and Wright made a timely clearance following a scramble.

Wrexham were playing on the counter attack and Carrington was unable to keep his effort down while Fondop was unable to capitalise on Maguire-Drew's clever ball into the area and the chance went begging.

The Reds had recovered from that initial onslaught in the opening 20 minutes and were seeing a lot more of the ball, Summerfield seeing a curling shot deflected narrowly wide for a first Wrexham corner just before the break.

Shaun Pearson headed over from Summerfield's resulting set-piece, and Maguire-Drew failed to hit the target as Wrexham finished the first half strongly.

Kerry was denied by Lainton in added time while Brad Walker's long range drive fell wide at the other end, and it remained goalless at the interval.

Harrogate made the early running when the second half got underway and Jake Lawlor did well to clear under the bar following Howe's header.

Wrexham came more into it and Rutherford sent in a teasing cross after good work by Kevin Roberts that a stretching Fondop put wide from close range.

There was another good chance in the 64th minute as Summerfield's free-kick was palmed away by Belshaw, while Luke Young replaced Wright as Ricketts made his first change.

Wrexham had the upper hand and Fondop brought a save out of Belshaw who then pulled off an even better stop from the striker after he was set up by Young.

Lainton made a routine save from Joe Leesley at the other end while Ricketts made his second change four minutes from time with Holroyd replacing Maguire-Drew.

Beavon came on for Rutherford in added time, where Young put in a superb ball across the face of goal that just needed a touch from a Wrexham player.

A goal never came and an entertaining encounter finished all square.