WREXHAM were beaten 1-0 at Leyton Orient in their penultimate game of the National League season.

It was a huge blow to the play-off hopes and Wrexham remain outside the top seven going into Saturday's final match at home to AFC Fylde.

Now 10th in the National League, Wrexham will hope midweek results are favourable and they win against Fylde to stand any chance of finishing in the play-offs.

Orient made a lively start and created the first chance after five minutes, Dan Happe's header from Jobi McAnuff's centre turned over the bar by Reds keeper Chris Dunn.

Wrexham winger Paul Rutherford was presented with a superb opportunity at the other end but he scuffed his shot with the goal at his mercy while Manny Smith headed over the bar from the Reds' first corner of the game.

Back came Orient and McAnuff failed to hit the target, but the visitors took the lead in the 29th minute.

McAnuff was given far too much time to deliver his cross and top scorer Macauley Bonne steered his header beyond Dunn.

Another Bonne header was straight at Dunn while Scott Quigley fired over the bar from outside the area with a rare sight of goal for Wrexham just before the break.

Orient were on the front foot when the second half got under way and Marvin Ekpiteta's effort was gathered by Dunn.

Quigley elected to go for goal after running onto Sam Wedgbury's through ball but he shot wide as Wrexham countered but Orient looked dangerous going forward and Bonne's shot deflected fell wide of the target.

Wedgbury made a vital block to keep out James Brophy's shot and Josh Koroma brought a superb save out of Dunn as Orient continued to threaten.

Scott Boden failed to steer his header from Roberts' cross goalwards while McAnuff's drive was blocked by Smith for a corner as Orient quickly turned defence into attack.

Davies made his first change on 67 minutes with Akil Wright replacing Jack Mackreth while Simon Ainge soon replaced Boden.

Wrexham were still in the game and Wedgbury's cross was nodded down by Ainge for Marcus Kelly who volleyed over the bar.

But Orient went close to extending their lead, substitute David Mooney bringing a fantastic save out of Dunn and Shaun Pearson clearing Bonne's header off the line from the resulting corner.

Wrexham were unable to threaten an equaliser and they have it all to do in the final match.