WREXHAM'S play-off hopes were dealt another blow after losing 2-1 at home to Dagenham and Redbridge.

The Reds, without a win in five games, remain seventh in the table but the chasing sides do have games in hand.

Dagenham created the first chance after just two minutes, Fejiri Okenabirhie's effort tipped around the post by Chris Dunn.

Wrexham made a slow start and their first sight of goal came when Mackreth sent in a cross from and Quigley's header was blocked.

Mackreth cut inside and saw his shot deflected wide for a corner, but the winger played a big part in Wrexham taking a 1-0 lead after 23 minutes.

Wedgbury sprayed a superb cross-field pass to Mackreth who whipped the ball into the area and Rutherford supplied a cool finish.

Mason Bloomfield fired wide as Dagenham responded to the set-back while Boden didn't get enough power on his effort from David Raven's cross as goalkeeper Mark Cousins comfortably gathered.

The last chance of the first half fell to Wrexham, Marcus Kelly teeing up Quigley whose low drive fell narrowly wide.

Wrexham came close to making it 2-0 two minutes after the break, Quigley's header from Boden's cross saved by Cousins and adjudged not to have crossed the line by the officials.

It was an excellent chance to give Wrexham breathing space and it proved costly as Dagenham equalised in the 49th minute, Okenabirhie given too much time and space before curling the ball beyond Dunn.

Boden headed wide for Wrexham while Luke Howell's lob just about cleared Dunn's goal as both sides pressed, while Wrexham went even closer when Quigley ran at goal and save his drive hit the crossbar.

Another Boden effort failed to hit the target, Shaun Pearson's header from Rutherford's corner struck an unwitting defender and hit the bar and Quigley headed over as Wrexham stepped up a gear.

James Jennings was also denied by Cousins who pulled off another save from Quigley, and Dagenham supplied a sucker punch by taking the lead on 74 minutes.

Dan Sparkes whipped in a free-kick from the left and substitute Michael Cheek's header found the net via a deflection.

Ainge replaced Rutherford in Wrexham's first change with 10 minutes to go and the striker immediately fired wide following a neat move, while Manny Smith headed wide.

Dunn saved at the feet of Cheek in added time with Wrexham chasing the game but Dagenham held on for victory.

Wrexham (4-4-2): Dunn; Raven, Manny Smith, Pearson, Jennings; Mackreth, Wedgbury, Kelly, Rutherford (Ainge 80); Boden, Quigley. Subs not used: Dibble, Deverdics, Carrington, Wright.