WREXHAM suffered their first defeat of the season as the Reds lost 2-1 against Dover Athletic at The Crabble Ground.

The Reds took a first half lead through Mark Harris' second goal of the season but were dealt a blow when Bobby Grant was sent off before the break.

It left Bryan Hughes' side up against it in the second period and Dover scored twice to secure victory.

Hughes named the same side for the third game in a row and Wrexham needed Christian Dibble to stop them falling behind in the fifth minute, the Reds' goalkeeper making a superb save to keep out Inih Effiong's header from Jack Munns' free-kick.

Dover were edging it as Wrexham made a slow start and Steven Rigg headed wide after meeting another Munns free-kick.

Mark Harris was flagged for offside after latching onto Devonte Redmond's through ball but Wrexham were struggling to impose themselves on the game.

Wrexham had been second best but they took the lead after 35 minutes.

JJ Hooper won the ball and Redmond threaded a pass through to Harris who slotted past goalkeeper Lee Worgan.

Harris was in the thick of the action and he was beaten to the ball by Worgan after attempting to reach Luke Summerfield's through ball, and the striker's curling shot also fell wide.

But Wrexham found themselves down to 10 men two minutes before the break, Grant shown a straight red card for kicking out at Worgan in the penalty area.

Dover almost equalised in added time but Dibble pulled off a fantastic save to deny Alfie Pavey and Effiong's follow-up was blocked by Shaun Pearson.

The Whites, with the numerical advantage, made a bright start to the second half and Hughes made a double change on 53 minutes, Paul Rutherford and Michael Chambers replacing Redmond and Harris.

Wrexham were being put under pressure and Pavey's header lacked pace and was comfortably gathered by Dibble who then turned Nassim L'Ghoul's deflected effort behind for a corner.

There was a respite for Wrexham when Mark Carrington won a free-kick which was delivered by Summerfield and Chambers headed wide.

But the goal that Dover had been threatening arrived in the 72nd minute with Ricky Modeste heading home from L'Ghoul's cross.

Pearson headed wide for Wrexham but Dover continued to press and Pavey's header was saved by Dibble from L'Ghoul centre.

L'Ghoul was proving to be a handful and he played in Modeste who beat Dibble but the ball drifted wide to Wrexham's relief.

Hughes made his final change five minutes from time with Jason Oswell replacing Hooper while Dover should have taken the lead but Pavey's ball across the face of goal was directed wide by Effiong with the goal at his mercy.

However, Dover scored the winner in the first minute of injury time as Pearson headed into his own net as he attempted to clear Kurtis Cumberbatch's cross.

Dover Athletic (4-3-1-2): Worgan; Passley, Lokko, De Havilland, Simpson; Munns (Cumberbatch 76), Woods, Gobern (L'Ghoul 62); Rigg (Modeste 62); Effiong, Pavey. Subs not used: Mersin, Reason.

Wrexham (4-2-3-1): Dibble; Carrington, Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings; Summerfield, Young; Grant, Redmond (Rutherford 53), Harris (Chambers 53); Hooper (Oswell 85). Subs not used: Szczepaniak, McIntosh.

Referee: Paul Howard.

Attendance: 1,187 (171 from Wrexham).