HOLYWELL TOWN boss John Haseldin has refuted claims that his side were overly physical in their crucial 2-1 victory over Bangor City.

The Wellmen triumphed courtesy of second half strikes from Mark Winslade and Damian Ketley, which cancelled out Robbie Parry’s spot-kick for the Citizens.

The result saw Haseldin’s men collect a vital three points at Halkyn Road to boost their Cymru Alliance survival hopes with four games remaining this term.

But Bangor City player-manager Gary Taylor-Fletcher took to social media after the clash to criticise the home side’s approach.

Posting on Twitter, he wrote: “Couldn’t be more proud of the young team I put out ⁩tonight. Each and every one of them stood up and fought for each other, despite the horrible tackles received, and cheating, they never stopped.”

Haseldin responded by hailing his side’s ‘grit and determination’ in the win, which ended a sequence of four successive defeats.

He said: “It was a massive result for us at a crucial time of the season.

“Bangor have a had a turbulent time this season, but there’s still a lot of experienced players in there.

"There was a great reaction from us after going a goal down and we showed the grit and determination to come back and win the game.

“So to hear those kind of comments from their manager, particularly when he’s a former pro, is really disappointing.

“From our point of view, it wasn’t a dirty game at all. There were a few physical challenges but nothing over the top.”

“For them to also say that I’d come onto the pitch and obstructed on of their players in the build-up to our equaliser just wasn’t true either.

“I was in the technical area at the time when one of their players has barged into me from behind and I know I’ve done nothing wrong.”

Despite a solid first half, the hosts spurned their best chance of an opener when Sam Jones saw his 32nd minute penalty saved by City keeper Nathan Wolland after Michael Johnson had handled inside the box.

Parry made no mistake with his own spot-kick three minutes after the interval, firing beyond Wellmen stopper Mike Platt after a foul by Matty Hughes.

But a fine rally from the hosts saw them draw level two minutes later when Winslade found the top corner of the net with an effort from an acute angle.

Sustained pressure yielded a 75th minute winner for the Wellmen when a great ball across the face of the Bangor goal found Ketley who fired home to delight the home faithful.

Gresford Athletic boss Steve Halliwell hailed a much im proved display from his side in the 4-2 home victory over Conwy Borough.

Goals in the opening six minutes from Jake Eyre and Jordan MacCarter put the hosts in charge.

Borough replied through Anthony Marshall, before Jack Chaloner restored the Colliers’ two-goal advantage.

Soon after the restart, MacCarter tapped home his second of the game to make it 4-1, with Cory Williams bagging a late consolation.

Halliwell said: “It was a fully deserved three points and great to end the season on a massive high.

"We’ve had to go through a massive rebuild with the players we’ve lost so the fact we’ve kept our league status and made a cup final is pretty pleasing."

Dan Moore believes Buckley Town are well-placed to build on their impressive return to the Cymru Alliance.

The Bucks concluded their campaign with a 1-1 home draw with Penrhyncoch, after Adam Eden’s strike for the hosts was cancelled out by an 85th minute leveller from Jon Evans.

Though currently sixth, Buckley will likely occupy a top eight berth in the final standings.

Moore said: “It wasn’t the best game to finish the season, we played okay.

“On balance, we probably would have won the game but for some poor decision-making at times.

“Our passing game is generally pretty good and we certainly had the better of the first half.

“I did feel like both sides lacked a bit of urgency though and it was only after we went ahead that Penrhyncoch upped their game and pushed hard to try to break us down.

“After that they seemed content to take a point, which you can understand with their current league position.

“ It wasn’t a brilliant game by any means, but looking at the bigger picture in terms of our own league position and the lads who’ve come in through the reserves it’s massively positive.

“We’re happy with the season and we can hopefully keep building on it now.”

Relegated Holyhead Hotspur impressed in a 4-2 win at Ruthin Town, while second-placed Porthmadog defeated Llanrhaeadr 2-0.

Guilsfield edged out Prestatyn Town in a 3-2 home victory, while Rhyl hammered relegation-threatened Denbigh Town 5-0.