LLAY WELFARE will be playing Cymru North football next season with manager Mike Gadie and chairman Keiron Fox both describing their promotion as unbelievable.

Llay won the battle of the Ardal League runners-up in a nail-biting 6-5 penalty shoot-out success against Llanuwchllyn after Saturday’s play-off final at Bala ended goal-less.

“It was unbelievable and if you’d have said three or four years ago that we’d be looking forward to playing in Cymru North and having the likes of Colwyn Bay coming to Llay, you would never have thought it would happen,” said Gadie, whose side were cheered on by around 200 fans from the village in a crowd of 935.

“I’m just pleased for everyone connected with the club - the committee, the players and the fans who were at Bala on Saturday.

“We’ve got a lot to talk about as for what happens next season but we’re just enjoying this moment for now.”

Llay scored all of their penalties with Dave McIntyre stroking home the winning penalty after Kyle Jones had hit the post with his effort from 12 yards.

Tom Wells, Will Nevitt, Mike Wright, captain John Peate and Scott Swords also held their nerve to score in a shoot-out manager Gadie knew they were going to win.

“We practised penalties at the end of training last week and we knew who we wanted to take the penalties and they did the job for us,” added Gadie, who will step down to become new manager Mike Price’s assistant next season.

“I normally don’t like watching penalties but I did on Saturday as I was really confident.”

As for the game itself, Llay bossed the first half while their keeper Mike Platt justified his start with a commanding performance after the break.

It was also a great day for Llay chairman Fox - a Manchester United fan who gave away his FA Cup final ticket for Wembley where The Red Devils beat Manchester City 2-1.

Fox said: “I wasn’t going to miss our game. Today has been unbelievable. I am so happy!”

Llanuwchllyn’s misery didn’t end after their shoot-out despair as their reserves lost 2-0 to Bow Street in the FAW Reserves Central League final.

The New Saints picked up another trophy but this time it was the second string from Park Hall celebrating as they lifted the FAW Reserves North Cup.

Substitute Leighton Brewer hit the winner as the Saints edged out Llandudno 3-2. Caleb Afful and Ben Richards were also on the scoresheet.

Saints' first team captain Chris Marriott has announced he is leaving the Cymru Premier champions.

The 34-year-old joined the club after leaving Wrexham in 2009 and the defender went on to win 26 trophies.

“All good things come to an end,”Marriott told the TNS website.

“TNS have enabled me to live my dream of playing football every day for a living, which I will be forever grateful for.

“I have travelled to some amazing places and met some fantastic people in my 15 years at the club. I have enjoyed a lot more ups than downs and learnt valuable life lessons that will help me in the future.

“Signing with TNS as a 19-year-old kid, now at 34, I am ready for the next chapter in my football career and also working life in the medical field of physiotherapy.

“I played alongside some people I would class as lifelong friends, and I would also like to thank all the managers, coaches and backroom staff I have worked alongside during my time at the club. It was an honour to captain the club.”