NOT being able to help his team-mates finish the the job off failed to take the shine off Jabob Mendy winning another promotion with Wrexham.

Brought in from Boreham Wood in the summer of 2022, Mendy helped the Reds clinch the National League title following a record-breaking 2022-23 campaign.

There was no let-up this season as Wrexham secured a top-three finish in League Two to make it back-to-back promotions for the first time in the club’s history.

But Mendy was absent for the last four matches after sustaining a hamstring injury in the 2-1 win at Colchester United on April 6 which ruled him out for the rest of the season.

However, the Gambia international, with crutch in hand, joined in the celebrations with his team-mates when Wrexham thrashed Forest Green Rovers 6-0 at The Racecourse to book a place in League One with two games to spare.

“I did my hamstring and unfortunately I missed the end of the season,” said the 27-year-old, who still made 31 league appearances and scored Wrexham’s first goal back in the Football League following a 15 year absence when the Reds were beaten 5-3 by MK Dons on the opening day.

“I'm happy I played my part in the promotion for a great team full of great players, and a great club.

“I am happy they finished the job off against Forest Green, it was amazing and we are in League One.”

Wrexham knew promotion would be in the bag if they beat Forest Green, and MK Dons and Barrow failed to win against Mansfield Town and Gillingham respectively.

The Reds took care of their own business, going 4-0 up at the break before scoring another two goals in the second half.

It emerged that the scores in the other games were going Wrexham’s way as the second half wore on and MK Dons ended up losing 4-1 with Barrow suffering a 3-0 defeat.

Jack Marriott, who arrived from Fleetwood Town in the January transfer window, came off the bench and opened his Reds’ account by scoring the final goal and he could sense the Reds were heading for promotion before supporters invaded the pitch following the final whistle.

“I had a rough idea of what was going on,” said the striker, “As the game got further along, we were in a good position and when the final whistle went it was just chaos!

“It was really special that we have been able to do it and get it over the line with such a great group of players.

“To get promotion with two games to go is credit to the boys and credit to the hard work that we’ve all put in.

“This group of lads doesn’t give up and you can see that with how the last few games went to get it over the line, and how we perform under pressure.

“They have got a never-say-die attitude and that is such a vital thing to have in the dressing room.”