WREXHAM failed to cut the gap on leaders Stockport County after losing 1-0 to in-form Doncaster Rovers at The Eco-Power Stadium.

The Reds went into the game sitting third in League Two and well-placed in the race for automatic promotion.

Results were largely favourable on Monday afternoon when although table-toppers Stockport won their game, three teams in the chasing pack hoping to pip the Reds to a top-three finish all failed to win.

But Wrexham, who would have gone second if they avoided defeat in south Yorkshire, were unable to capitalise after losing to Doncaster who registered a fifth successive win.

There was a lack of clear cut chances by the Reds who conceded the only goal just before the break until they rallied late on, but Rovers held firm.

Phil Parkinson's men remain four points behind Stockport and on the same tally as second placed Mansfield Town, but those two teams both have a game in hand on the Reds.

Wrexham, who have five games remaining, are two points ahead of fourth placed MK Dons who have played a match more while Barrow and Crewe remain in the hunt for a promotion.

It was no surprise to see Parkinson the same side that started the brilliant 2-0 victory against promotion rivals Mansfield on Good Friday.

There was one change on the substitutes bench with centre-back Ben Tozer taking over from striker Jack Marriott.

Billy Waters, who joined Doncaster from Wrexham on loan until the end of the season during the winter transfer window, was not named in the Rovers squad as the frontman was not eligible to face his parent club.

Hakeeb Adelakun dragged an early shot wide for Doncaster who continued their bright start and Eoghan O'Connell made a brilliant block in the area to deny Maxime Biamou after Luke Molyneux's cross fell to the striker.

Mullin sliced his first effort of the night wide while Wrexham came closer when Elliot Lee's free-kick was nodded back across goal by Will Boyle and Ollie Palmer headed off target.

Defences were on top as O'Connell made another important intervention to stop Rovers, who were a threat going forward, getting in but the game still hadn't seen a clear cut chance.

Lee's 20-yard drive cleared the bar for the Reds who had a let-off when the lively Molyneux sent in a dangerous cross and Biamou fired wide from a decent position.

However, Doncaster took the lead in the 44th minute.

A cross came in from the left and Owen Bailey's header went in off the base of a post.

It remained 1-0 at the break and Harrison Biggins hit the bar with a cross at the start of the second half.

Doncaster had another opportunity as Biamou turned Molyneux's low cross towards goal but it was cleared off the line by O'Connell.

Wrexham weren't far away themselves when Boyle headed wide at the back-post and substitute Ryan Barnett went close with a low drive.

But Doncaster were still causing problems and James Maxwell saw his attempt cleared off the line, Arthur Okonkwo made a superb save to thwart Richard Wood and Adelakun put a shot wide when it looked easier to score.

Molyneux brought another decent save out of Okonkwo and the Rovers man played in a teasing ball that was only just beyond Adelakun who stole in at the back post.

Wrexham thought they'd levelled in the 77th minute when a corner reached Mullin at the back post and he slotted home but it was ruled out for offside - meaning he is still looking for his 100th goal for the club.

Time was running out for Wrexham and they saw Doncaster keeper Thimothee Lo-Tutala, who had little to do during the game, make a fantastic save to keep out Steven Fletcher's header and that made sure of victory for the home side.

Doncaster Rovers (4-2-3-1): Lo-Tutala; Sterry, Olowu, Wood (McGrath 90), Maxwell; Bailey, Craig (Westbrooke 86); Molyneux, Biggins (Rowe 78), Adelakun; Biamou (Ironside 69). Subs not used: Jones, Broadbent, Hurst, McGrath.

Wrexham (5-3-2): Okonkwo; Bolton (Barnett 46), Cleworth (Tozer 90), O'Connell (Dalby 84), Boyle (Evans 61), McClean; Cannon, O'Connor, Lee; Mullin, Palmer (Fletcher 61). Subs not used: Howard, McFadzean.

Attendance: 10,537 (2,240 from Wrexham).