MEETINGS between Wrexham and Mold in recent seasons have been classic affairs and the latest instalment in the rivalry didn’t disappoint.

Wrexham made it four Division One North wins on the bounce, but they had to withstand a fierce Mold fightback to register a 29-24 success.

Three penalties from Jacob Hughes nudged Wrexham into a nine-point lead in the opening 13 minutes and these would ultimately prove to be vital to the outcome.

The game’s first try arrived in the 20th minute when Armani Roberts crossed the whitewash for the home side.

Things got even better for Wrexham three minutes later when Tom Walker grabbed his side’s next try to stretch the lead out to 19 points.

Mold responded with a converted try prior to the interval, but Wrexham came firing out of the blocks right at the start of the second half with Olly Dodd’s unconverted try.

Jack Partington’s unconverted try after 45 minutes appeared to have put the game to bed, but Mold had other ideas.

Three further tries brought the visitors back to within five points to set up a grandstand finish and Mold walked away with two crucial bonus points from their efforts.

Ethan Say (2), Scott Jones and Matthew Liversage shared their tries, while Seth Geary and Danny Williams kicked conversions.

Bala, who are battling to beat relegation, secured a vital 24-21 triumph at Gwynedd rivals Caernarfon, while Ruthin eased to a 40-20 outcome in their home meeting with Bethesda.

Pwllheli thrashed basement side Dolgellau 74-5, Llandudno won 31-22 at Llangefni and leaders Nant Conwy saw off COBRA 33-19 to make it 13 wins from 13 matches for the season.

Shotton Steel gained a losing bonus point from their 22-17 outcome at home to Division Two North title chasers Colwyn Bay.

Leaders Denbigh suffered a 32-23 defeat during their trip to Nant Conwy Seconds.

Other results: Abergele 8 Rhyl & District 25; Bro Ffestiniog 12 Welshpool 22; Newtown 24 Bangor 10.

Llangollen-based Bro Gwernant experienced an 18-10 defeat in their Division Three North East top-of-the-table encounter at home to unbeaten Machynlleth.

Mold Seconds eased to a 59-7 victory at home to Denbigh Seconds, with Jake Edwards scoring four of the tries.

Wrexham Seconds were 45-26 victors at Flint and Rhosllanerchrugog were on the wrong end of a 49-7 outcome at Ruthin Seconds.

Elsewhere, COBRA Seconds just pipped Bala Seconds 24-22.

RGC’s first Premiership contest of the year ended in a 35-14 defeat at the hands of Ebbw Vale, who moved to within two points of the pace being set by leaders Llandovery.

Christian Hone scored a second half try for RGC, who also benefited from two Sam Earl-Jones penalties and a drop goal by Arthur Lennon.

Head coach Ceri Jones told the RGC website: “It’s a frustrating one, as Ebbw Vale did exactly what we had prepared for.

“They have that set piece and pick and go when they are in the opposition half and are clinical with it.

“We dealt with the pressure at times but in the end that pressure told and they got over the line.

“They got under our skins and were abrasive around the breakdown.

“For us we had a few experienced players out, but I have said all season that we are stretching the players with the level we are playing at, and long term we will benefit.

“The learning for this group is knowing the levels needed to compete, and that level was seen last time when we played Cardiff. We didn’t get that today, and if we want to beat teams consistently then physically, we need to be better.”

Other results: Merthyr 50 Bridgend 32; Pontypridd 48 Neath 10; Swansea 14 Newport 33.