WREXHAM have done it again!

There was another FA Cup upset as Phil Parkinson's side beat League One rivals Shrewsbury Town 1-0 in the FA Cup third round clash at The Croud Meadow.

After winning 4-3 away at Championship high-fliers Coventry City at the same stage of the competition 12 months earlier, Wrexham were looking to pull off another upset in the first cross-border derby against Shrewsbury since 2008.

Parkinson's men, who pushed Premier League-bound Sheffield United all the way before losing a replay after beating Coventry, went on to clinch the National League title last season following their cup heroics and the Reds are still going strong on both fronts this term.

Third in League Two, a second successive promotion remains the priority but a good cup run was hardly a distraction in 2022-23 and the Reds' boss will be delighted his side are in the hat for tomorrow night's fourth round draw.

Shrewsbury, mid-table in the third tier, had the better chances in the first half with Wrexham playing too many long balls and the front two getting very little service.

It was still all to play for in the second period and although Shrewsbury struck the bar, Tom O'Connor put Wrexham ahead in the 72nd minute.

O'Connor was also on target against Coventry and the midfielder, currently playing at centre-back, scored at the end housing nearly 1,700 ecstatic Wrexham supporters.

Shrewsbury put the pressure on in a bid to get an equaliser and take the tie to a replay but Wrexham held firm to register another cup shock.

Parkinson named the same side that started the 4-1 win against Barrow on New Year's Day which kept Wrexham in the top three in League Two.

Shrewsbury had the first sight of goal in the third minute with Taylor Perry's 20-yard drive saved by goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo.

The early pressure continued and when Steven Fletcher lost possession in his own area, the ball was played to Cheyenne Dunkley whose shot was deflected behind for a corner.

Wrexham responded with Paul Mullin's effort from outside the area clearing the bar and after Ben Tozer's throw-in was only partially punched clear by keeper Marko Marosi, Andy Cannon's shot was blocked by a defender.

There was another chance for Shrewsbury when Jordan Shipley got in ahead of Max Cleworth and was denied by Okonkwo, and the home side should have taken the lead after 27 minutes.

Shipley sent in a low cross from the left and an unmarked Tunmise Sobowale fired over from close range with only Okonkwo to beat.

That was a huge let-off for Wrexham and it remained goalless at the break but Shrewsbury were straight back on the attack at the start of the second half and Perry fired just over the bar after a cross was half-cleared.

Wrexham also got into some good positions.

Elliot Lee's header from Anthony Forde's cross was comfortably saved by Marosi while Paul Mullin was also denied by the goalkeeper after he capitalised on Morgan Feeney's slip.

But the Reds almost fell behind when Shrews wing-back Malvind Benning ran at goal after Forde lost the ball and struck the top of the crossbar.

That was a lucky escape and an unmarked Lee fired over from James McClean's cross with a good chance for Wrexham but the Reds broke the deadlock on 72 minutes.

George Evans fed substitute Sam Dalby who laid the ball off to O'Connor and his shot from inside the area deflected off Dunkley into the back of the net.

Shrewsbury should have levelled in added time when Perry fired wide with the goal at his mercy after Wrexham fail to clear their lines and the midfielder failed to hit the target with another opportunity.

But Wrexham held on to secure victory and a place in the fourth round.

Shrewsbury Town (5-3-2): Marosi; Bennett, Feeney (Pierre 90), Dunkley, Anderson (Sraha 78), Benning (Bayliss 69); Perry, Kenneh, Shipley; Sobowale (Idowu 69), Bowman (Mata 78). Subs not used: Burgoyne, Winchester, Loughran, Whitney.

Wrexham (5-3-2): Okonkwo; Forde (Barnett 68), Cleworth, Tozer, O'Connor, McClean; Cannon (Jones 77), Evans, Lee (Davies 90), Mullin, Fletcher (Dalby 68). Subs: McNicholas, Boyle, McFadzean, Young, Bickerstaff.

Attendance: 9,304 (1,659 from Wrexham).