IT’S been a tremendous year for Wrexham and a key victory to end 2023 has given them some breathing space in the battle against relegation.

The Bryn Estyn Road side moved nine points clear of the Division One North drop zone courtesy of a hard-fought 15-9 success at home to Bala.

In the only top flight contest to beat the wet and stormy weather over the weekend, Wrexham recovered from an interval deficit to make sure of their fourth triumph since gaining promotion.

Bala nudged themselves in front with a ninth minute penalty and their lead was up to six points after another successful three-pointer late in the first half.

However, Wrexham enjoyed a bright start to the second period and they benefited from Rhys Davies’ try soon after the restart.

Jack Jones’ penalty gave the hosts the lead for the first time with a quarter-of-an-hour remaining and victory was assured courtesy of captain Jack Harrison’s 75th minute try.

Jones added the conversion points, while a last minute Bala penalty at least handed them a bonus point from their efforts.

There were three close contests in Division Two North and the stand-out result was supplied by Shotton Steel.

A pair of converted tries helped Shotton to stun leaders Denbigh 17-12.

Elsewhere, Newtown pipped Welshpool 13-11 and Bangor triumphed 17-15 at Rhyl & District.

There was a full schedule of Division Three North East contests, which also doubled-up as Division Three Cup ties.

Rhosllanerchrugog gained a 22-17 success during their trip to Flint, while Mold Seconds were edged out 19-16 at home to Machynlleth.

Daniel Williams supplied all of Mold’s points via a try, conversion and three penalties.

Llangollen-based Bro Gwernant lost out 21-8 at Ruthin Seconds, while Wrexham Seconds prevailed 20-7 in their meeting with Bala Seconds.

In further action, COBRA Seconds won 13-5 at Llanidloes.

Division Three North West: Caernarfon 2nds 17 Pwllheli 2nds 15; Rhyl & District 2nds 16 Porthmadog 19.

RGC’s year in the Welsh Premiership concluded on a high with their 14-9 win at home to Cardiff.

In front of a crowd of almost 1,500, the North Walians struck first with a penalty from distance from Sam Earl-Jones.

Harri Wilde’s penalty tied things up, however RGC went into the break ahead thanks to Efan Jones’ try and a further penalty from Earl-Jones.

Cardiff closed the gap with another Wilde penalty in the 53rd minute, while Earl-Jones responded with his third successful kick for RGC.

With a minute left, RGC’s Afon Bagshaw was sent off for a high tackle and the game ended with Cardiff hitting their third penalty of the afternoon to gain a losing bonus point.

Head coach Ceri Jones told the RGC website: “It was a fantastic win for the group and it was a big game against a team that we haven’t had good results against for a few years.

“The boys needed to get that win and I am delighted for them.

“Today we won the physical battle every time we needed to, and (it) was the most physical I have seen us.”

Other results: Aberavon 32 Bridgend 26; Merthyr 10 Llandovery 20; Pontypridd 25 Ebbw Vale 26; Swansea 3 Pontypool 24.