THINGS did get Wild in a derby double-header for the Deeside Dragons!

They took on local rivals Widnes Wild in two quickfire clashes, with both sides gaining a victory apiece.

These bare details don’t even come close to describing the drama of the contests.

The clash at Widnes was also a tie in the M56 Cup and it was Wild who came out on top 10-8 in an epic contest.

An all-action first period, which saw the lead change hands on a number of occasions, ended with Dragons 3-2 ahead.

James Parsons, Andy McKinney and Jakub Hajek got the goals for Deeside, who reached the end of the second period holding a slender 5-4 advantage.

Alex Parry and McKinney found the target, but the final period would belong to the Widnes side.

Parry completed his hat-trick and there was another goal from Parsons, however Widnes scored three times in the final seven minutes to complete their triumph.

There was better fortune for the Dragons 24 hours later thanks to a 4-2 success.

Petr Valusiak was on target as the first period ended with the sides tied at 1-1.

That was also the scoreline at the end of the second period, while efforts from Parry, Jared Dickinson and Parsons sealed the deal for Deeside late on.

Dragons’ assistant head coach Matt Compton said: “There were lots of positives.

“Jace Gledhill, 16 years old, started his first game for us on Saturday.

“James Parsons is back and he’s scoring now.

“He is getting better and better.”

Karl Bacon and Billy Perks were impressive figures for the Dragons.

“They had a really good weekend,” added Compton.

“I don’t think they conceded a goal when they were on the ice.”

A Widnes Wild opponent attempted to rile Bacon over the course of the weekend, but the Deeside player didn’t rise to the bait.

“He skated away from some goading,” said Compton.

“He was definitely the better man to walk away from that.”

Other results: Saturday: Billingham Stars 8 Solihull Barons 2. Sunday: Blackburn Hawks 8 Nottingham Lions 4; Solihull Barons 5 Hull Jets 3; Whitley Warriors 1 Billingham Stars 8.

Connah’s Quay Cobras put in a superb performance to beat Widnes-based rivals Riverside Raiders 8-2 in a challenge match at Deeside Leisure Centre.

The two teams had previously met back in April in what had been the fledgling Cobras team’s first ever game, with the Raiders winning 8-4, but this game saw the Cobras very much in control from the outset and they outshot the visitors by 55 to 19 over the course of the 60 minutes.

Martin Rybka (2) and Sam Krempasky saw the home side leading 3-0 at the first period break.

The Cobras edged further ahead with a hat-trick goal from Rybka on 23 minutes and there followed a tense goal-less spell before the Raiders finally managed to break their duck with a strike on 35 minutes.

However, Ken Valyear restored the four-goal cushion with just 31 seconds left on the clock to give the Cobras a healthy 5-1 lead at the second interval.

The Raiders scored their second, and final, goal on 52 minutes but the Cobras hit back with three unanswered goals - from Rybka again, and two from Kieran Clarkson - to round off a comprehensive victory.