WREXHAM'S interest in the EFL Trophy came to an end as the Reds lost 3-2 against Burton Albion at The Racecourse.

Just two days after beating Yeovil Town 3-0 to set-up a local derby at Shrewsbury Town in the third round of the FA Cup, the Reds came unstuck in the last 32 of the Trophy.

Having won all three group games to secure home advantage for the second round tie, Wrexham lost for the first in this season's competition and bowed out.

Promotion is the priority, with Wrexham currently second in League Two, and the Reds are back in action at Forest Green Rovers on Saturday.

Parkinson utilised his squad for the clash with the Brewers, who sit 17th in League One.

Just as he said he would, the Reds' boss rang the changes and he named a completely different side to the one that started the FA Cup second round win against Yeovil.

But Wrexham got off to the worst possible start as Burton took the lead with less than 30 seconds on the clock.

Will Boyle was unable to deal with a ball over the top and Deji Oshilaja slotted past goalkeeper Luke McNicholas.

It got even better for Burton who made it 2-0 in the third minute.

Wrexham failed to clear their lines and Mark Helm fired into the bottom corner from just outside the area.

That wasn't in the script but the Reds reduced the deficit after five minutes with a brilliant strike.

Sam Dalby picked up a loose ball and ran at goal before curling the ball past goalkeeper Max Crocombe from 25 yards out.

Burton were enjoying the majority of possession but Wrexham almost scored a spectacular equaliser.

An awful kick by Crocombe went straight to Jones who chipped the keeper from 40 yards but the ball landed agonisingly wide.

McNicholas did well to deny Josh Walker at the other end while Wrexham had more chances with Crocombe doing well to keep out Jake Bickerstaff's low drive and Liam McAlinden shot straight at the goalkeeper.

Jordan Davies came close to levelling after he was brought down on the edge of the area but the midfielder's free-kick landed the wrong side of the post.

Wrexham had a good shout for a penalty turned down after Callum McFadzean appeared to have been brought down in the area by Mason Bennett, and it remained 2-1 at the break.

McNicholas made routine saves from Josh Gordon and Ryan Sweeney at the start of the second half but Burton made it 3-1 on 64 minutes.

Joe Powell whipped in a corner and Ryan Sweeney flicked the ball into the net with the aid of a deflection.

Gordon saw his shot saved by McNicholas before Parkinson made a triple change after 71 minutes with Ollie Palmer, Billy Waters and James McClean replacing Dalby, Bickerstaff and Jones.

Boyle couldn't keep his header down as Wrexham sought to get back into the game and McClean headed wide.

McAlinden looked like he had reduced the deficit as his curling effort was heading in but defender Sam Hughes managed to get a head to the ball and save Burton.

McAlinden saw another shot saved by Crocombe before Wrexham pulled a goal back in added time when Davies headed home a cross but it was merely a consolation as the Reds bowed out of a competition they won in 2005.

Wrexham (5-3-2): McNicholas; McAlinden, James, Cleworth, Boyle, McFadzean (Cushion 90); Jones (McClean 71), Young, Jordan Davies; Dalby (Palmer 71), Bickerstaff (Waters 71). Subs not used: Hall, Tozer, Dan Davies.

Burton Albion (4-2-3-1): Crocombe; Caprice, Hughes, Sweeney, Moon; Helm (Harper 34), Powell; Bennett (Stockton 67), Oshilaja (Brayford 77), Walker; Lubala (Gordon 46). Subs not used: Blackman, Kamwa, Carayol.

Attendance: 4,963 (213 from Burton).