WREXHAM have got a local derby with Shrewsbury Town to look forward to early in the new year.

Phil Parkinson's side beat National League South leaders Yeovil Town 3-0 at The Racecourse in the second round of the FA Cup.

The third round draw was made a couple of hours before kick-off and both teams knew the reward for the winners was an away tie at League One outfit Shrewsbury on the weekend of January 6.

It is Wrexham who will make the short trip over the border after a routine victory over Yeovil.

The Reds didn't get out of second gear in the first half and built up a two-nil lead at the break through Ollie Palmer's sixth goal of the season and Andy Cannon's second strike in as many games.

That left Yeovil with a lot to do and Wrexham saw the game out after the interval with Sam Dalby getting the third goal in injury time.

Promotion is the priority for Wrexham, who are second in League Two, but they have reached the third round of the world famous cup competition for a second season in a row and will be looking to pull off another upset.

The Reds beat Championship outfit Coventry City 4-3 at this stage in 2022-23 before narrowly losing to Premier League-bound Sheffield United following a replay.

Wrexham will fancy their chances of causing another upset against Shrewsbury, who are 12th in the third tier, when the teams meet at The Croud Meadow but the aim before then will be to remain in the promotion mix.

Parkinson made one change from the side that started last Tuesday's 2-2 draw at Harrogate Town which kept Wrexham on the tails of leaders Stockport County.

Arthur Okonkwo, in excellent form since joining on a season-long loan from Arsenal, was forced off with a jaw injury in the stalemate so Mark Howard took over in goal.

Wrexham created the first chance in the 10th minute following a neat move.

James McClean sent in a cross from the left and fellow wing-back Jacob Mendy headed over the bar at the far post.

However, Wrexham took a 14th minute lead.

Palmer's header from Cannon's cross was parried by keeper Joe Day but the striker scored with his follow-up.

Parkinson was forced into a change before the game resumed with James Jones replacing the injured Aaron Hayden.

George Evans dropped into defence in place of Hayden with Jones coming on in midfield.

With the Reds eager to build on their advantage, McClean's low drive fell wide while Jones played a lovely ball over the top for Paul Mullin who was unable to hit the target with his attempt on goal.

Yeovil's first sight of goal came just before the half-hour mark when Frank Nouble fired over the bar while the Glovers came close when Charlie Cooper's shot from outside the area was brilliantly turned around the post by Howard.

There was another opportunity for Yeovil when Jordan Young's 30-yard free-kick struck the post but Wrexham made it 2-0 in first-half injury-time.

Ben Tozer's throw-in was cleared to Cannon who scored with a half-volley from edge of the area, although Day should have done better.

The second half took a while to get going and Wrexham had a chance when Mendy's low drive drifted wide while Mullin, looking to score in an eighth FA Cup game in a row, fired straight at Day.

Jones was not far away with another effort while Parkinson made a double change on 77 minutes with Dalby and Luke Young replacing goalscorers Palmer and Cannon.

A superb moved ended with Elliot Lee laying the ball off to McClean whose shot deflected off a defender over the bar for a corner before Jordan Davies and Jake Bickerstaff took over from Lee and Mullin.

The third goal arrived in added time when Dalby was played in by McClean and the striker dinked the ball over Day.

Wrexham completed victory and the Reds will also look to make progress in the EFL Trophy at home to Burton Albion on Tuesday night.

Wrexham (5-3-2): Howard; Mendy, Hayden (Jones 15), Tozer, O'Connor, McClean; Cannon (Young 77), Evans, Lee (Davies 88); Palmer (Dalby 77), Mullin (Bickerstaff 88). Subs not used: McNicholas, Boyle, Hossanah, McAlinden.

Yeovil Town (5-3-2): Day; Smith, Williams, Wannell, Idehen, Whittle (Dawes 86); Lo-Everton (Murphy 64), Cooper (Owers 86), Worthington; Young (Cox 75), Nouble (Hyde 75). Subs not used: Maguire-Drew, Fisher, Staunton.

Attendance: 9,640 (784 from Yeovil).