WREXHAM threw away a two-goal lead as Harrogate hit back to draw 2-2 in their League Two clash at Wetherby Road.

Phil Parkinson's men were 2-0 up and well in control after 41 minutes with Andy Cannon grabbing his first goal for the club and top scorer Elliot Lee netting for the 11th time this season.

Despite the Reds being well on top, Harrogate managed to reduce the deficit just before the break and Simon Weaver's side equalised just two minutes into the second half.

It was game on then as the home side sensed they could complete the comeback by securing what had looked like an unlikely three points but it finished all-square.

Wrexham were unable to build on Saturday's brilliant 6-0 win against Morecambe at The Racecourse but the Reds remain second in the table, still five points behind leaders Stockport County who also drew.

Parkinson made one change from the side that started the victory over Morecambe.

Anthony Forde was missing after going off injured in the first half against the Shrimps and he was replaced in the right wing-back position by Jacob Mendy.

With Forde on the sidelines, there was a place on the substitutes bench for Liam McAlinden who provided wing-back cover.

The first chance fell for Harrogate in the second minute but Josh March's low drive was comfortably saved by Reds' goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo.

Wrexham came even closer to scoring after Ollie Palmer was brought down by Rod McDonald just outside the area.

Paul Mullin's free-kick was palmed away by keeper Jonathan Mitchell and he kept out Cannon's follow-up to complete a superb double save.

Having the majority of possession and playing some good football, Wrexham dominated proceedings and won a corner when Elliot Lee's effort was blocked.

Although Harrogate cleared, the ball was put back into the danger-zone and Aaron Hayden's header was tipped behind by Mitchell.

Wrexham had been on top and they deservedly took the lead in the 36th minute.

Following good work down the left, James McClean squared to Cannon who slotted into the bottom corner from just inside the area.

It got even better for Wrexham who went 2-0 up after 41 minutes.

Harrogate failed to deal with Ben Tozer's long throw-in, Mullin got a touch and Lee converted.

But the home side pulled a goal back on the stroke of half-time.

The Reds' defence should have done better following a ball over the top and Dean Cornelius found the bottom corner of the net with a low shot.

George Evans went close to scoring a spectacular goal but his long range effort on the volley struck the post with the last chance before the interval.

Parkinson made a change for the start of the second half with Mark Howard replacing Okonkwo, who picked up a injury during the first 45 minutes, between the sticks and Harrogate levelled less than two minutes after the restart.

George Thomson sent in a free-kick which was headed home by substitute Warren Burrell.

Harrogate had the bit between their teeth with Abraham Odoh firing narrowly wide while Cannon's long range effort went over the bar at the other end.

Playing much better and sensing they could secure victory, Matty Foulds only just cleared the bar for Harrogate.

Wrexham almost scored when Mullin laid off to substitute Sam Dalby whose shot was tipped over the bar by Mitchell, but both sides had to settle for a point.

Harrogate Town (4-2-3-1): Mitchell; Ramsay, McDonald (Burrell 46), O'Connor, Foulds; Cornelius, Dooley; Thomson, Odoh, Muldoon; March (Sivi 84). Subs not used: Thomas, Falkingham, Gibson, Ilesanmi, O'Boyle.

Wrexham (5-3-2): Okonkwo (Howard 46); Mendy, Hayden, Tozer, O'Connor, McClean; Cannon (Jones 69), Evans, Lee (Davies 84); Palmer (Dalby 69), Mullin. Subs not used: Boyle, McAlinden, Bickerstaff.

Attendance: 3,767.