WREXHAM bounced back from defeat in style by thrashing Morecambe 6-0 at The Racecourse.

Phil Parkinson's men saw an 11-game unbeaten run come to an end when they lost 2-0 at Accrington Stanley the previous weekend.

It was just a third loss in 18 League Two matches but Wrexham responded by putting the Shrimps to the sword, with the Reds climbing up to second in the table following the convincing win.

The damage was done in the first seven minutes when an own goal and Paul Mullin's seventh strike of the season put the home side well in control.

Substitute Jacob Mendy made it 3-0 before half-time while Mullin scored twice to complete his hat-trick in the second period - moving onto nine goals this campaign - and James Jones got the sixth goal to complete a brilliant afternoon's work when the Reds also saw some of the teams around them drop points.

Parkinson made three changes from the side that started against Accrington seven days earlier.

James McClean, absent at The Crown Ground as he was away on international duty for the last time with Republic of Ireland, replaced Jordan Davies in the left wing-back position and Andy Cannon was preferred to Jones in midfield.

The other change was up front where Ollie Palmer came in for Sam Dalby.

Wrexham made the ideal start by taking the lead after just five minutes.

The ball was played out to Mullin following good build-up play and the striker's teasing cross was turned into his own net by Joel Senior under pressure from Cannon.

Just two minutes late and it got even better as Wrexham made it 2-0.

George Evans fed Cannon who fired in a cross that was turned home by Mullin.

Farrend Rawson headed over the bar for Morecambe but Parkinson was dealt a blow on 27 minutes when Anthony Forde went off injured and was replaced by Mendy who was back in the squad after his spell on international duty when he made his debut for Gambia.

There was a chance for Morecambe when a corner was headed down Rawson and Wrexham goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo gathered before Adam Mayor could pounce, and the Reds grabbed a third goal in the 35th minute.

Cannon laid off to Mendy on the right and he made a great run into the box past a couple of players before firing into the roof of the net.

Eager for more goals, Wrexham saw a couple of shots blocked and the ball fell for Cannon whose cross hit Rawson and went behind for a corner from which Elliot Lee headed into the side-netting.

Lee was a low drive parried by goalkeeper Adam Smith, Ollier Palmer picked up the loose ball and fed Cannon who blasted over the bar from a good position with the final opportunity of the half.

Morecambe went close at the start of the second period when Michael Mellon raced onto a ball over the top of the Reds' defence and was denied by Okonkwo.

Wrexham responded with Mullin's effort turned away by Smith but the fourth goal arrived in the 67th minute following neat build-up play.

Lee played the ball into the area and it came back out to Mullin who slotted past Smith from 18 yards.

There was more to come as Wrexham made it 5-0 on 77 minutes.

Tom O'Connor picked out Mullin with an excellent through-ball and the striker took a touch before firing past Smith from inside the box to complete his hat-trick.

There was still time for Mullin to hit the crossbar with a spectacular attempt before a free-kick was brilliantly saved by Smith while Ethan Walker couldn't keep his shot down for Morecambe from inside the area.

A sixth goal arrived deep into injury time when substitute Jones found the top corner to complete a brilliant victory.

Wrexham (5-3-2): Okonkwo; Forde (Mendy 27), Hayden, Tozer, O'Connor (Boyle 81), McClean; Cannon (Jones 72), Evans, Lee (Davies 81); Palmer (Dalby 81), Mullin. Subs not used: Howard, Bickerstaff.

Morecambe (4-2-3-1): Smith; Connolly, Rawson, Bedeau (Stokes 80), Senior (Threlkeld 73); McKiernan, King; Bloxham, Mayor, Slew (Walker 73); Mellon. Subs not used: Pedley, Songo'o, Davenport, Smith.

Attendance: 10,224 (1,128 from Morecambe).