WREXHAM'S 11 game unbeaten run came to an end following a 2-0 defeat against Accrington Stanley at The Crown Ground.

The Reds were poor in the League Two encounter and lost for the first time in any competition since they were thrashed 5-0 by Stockport County on September 23.

Defeat, just a third in the league this season, means Wrexham have slipped to fourth in the table, eight points behind leaders Stockport.

Manager Phil Parkinson made two changes from the side that started the 2-0 home win against Gillingham the previous weekend.

With Jacob Mendy on international duty with Gambia and James McClean, available for the Reds after serving a one-match suspension but called into the Republic of Ireland squad earlier than expected, also missing then Jordan Davies was drafted in to play in the left wing-back position.

The other change was in attack where star striker Paul Mullin, who also completed a one-game ban, took over from Ollie Palmer who dropped to the substitutes bench.

Wrexham's first chance came in the ninth minute when Tom O'Connor's free-kick was comfortably saved by goalkeeper Jon McCracken.

The Reds came even closer when James Jones laid off to Anthony Forde who sent in a dangerous cross from the right and Elliot Lee's header was tipped around the post by McCracken.

Tommy Leigh's low drive fell wide for Accrington but back came Wrexham who had the next chance.

Mullin latched onto a poor pass and tried to go around McCracken who did well to block the striker's shot from an acute angle and the ball went out for a corner.

Ben Woods tried his luck from long range at the other end but Reds' goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo was equal to the task before Mullin hit the crossbar for Wrexham with a powerful shot after being picked out by Lee's brilliant through-ball.

Another chance went begging when Mullin failed to connect with Davies' cross and it remained goalless at the break.

Parkinson made a change for the start of the second half with Will Boyle replacing O'Connor in defence but Wrexham went 1-0 down in the 50th minute.

Accrington claimed Brad Hills and Matt Lowe had both been pulled down in the area by Boyle and Davies respectively following a corner and Leigh converted the resulting penalty.

It got even better for Accrington who went 2-0 up after 72 minutes.

Nolan's shot from outside the area was spilled by Okonkwo who then tried to gather but the ball fell for Rosaire Longelo who converted from close range.

Wrexham didn't look like getting back into the game, although they had a chance to reduce the deficit in the 10th minute of injury time but Mullin smashed his penalty against the crossbar after a player was clattered into in the area.

Accrington Stanley (4-2-3-1) McCracken; Lowe, Rich-Baghuelou, Hills, Shipley; Conneely, Woods; Longelo (Martin 79), Leigh (Andrews 74), Nolan; Adedoyin. Subs not used: McIntyre, Mellor, Gubbins, Pickles Woods.

Wrexham (5-3-2): Okonkwo; Forde, Hayden (Palmer 67), Tozer, O'Connor (Boyle 46), Davies (McAlinden 81); Jones (Cannon 81), Evans, Lee; Dalby (Bickerstaff 81), Mullin. Subs not used: Howard, Young.

Attendance: 5,261 (2,587 from Wrexham).