FEBRUARY 16 1974

Wrexham reached the quarter-finals of the FA Cup for the first time in the club’s history.

Dave Smallman scored the only goal as John Neal’s Division Three side beat Southampton 1-0 in the fifth round of the world famous competition at The Dell.

Wrexham, who had also accounted for Crystal Palace and Middlesbrough in earlier rounds, saw their run come to an end as they were beaten 1-0 by Burnley in the last eight clash at Turf Moor.

MARCH 17 1976

Beaten but not disgraced as Wrexham lost against Belgian giants Anderlecht in the quarter-finals of the European Cup Winners’ Cup.

Neal’s side had lost the first-leg 1-0 in Belgium but gave Anderlecht a run for their money in the return clash in front of nearly 20,000 fans at The Racecourse Ground.

The second leg ended 1-1 with Stuart Lee scoring for the Reds, who bowed out 2-1 on aggregate.


More FA Cup glory as Newcastle United were held to a 2-2 draw in the fourth round tie at St James’ Park thanks to a brace from Dixie McNeil, who scored an amazing 11 goals in the competition that season.

Deadeye Dixie added two more in the victory at The Racecourse to go with efforts from Bobby Shinton and Les Cartwright to put the Reds en route to another quarter-final where they were eventually beaten 3-2 by Arsenal.

APRIL 22 1978

Wrexham clinched promotion from Division Three in style.

Having agonisingly missed out on a place in the second division the previous season, Wrexham, with Arfon Griffiths their new player-boss, were not going to be denied this time and they clinched promotion with a fantastic 7-1 victory over Rotherham United at The Racecourse.

Graham Whittle led the way with a hat-trick while John Lyons, Mickey Thomas, Shinton and Cartwright were also on target.

OCTOBER 3 1984

A FAMOUS victory in Europe as Wrexham won against the odds in Portugal.

Wrexham were drawn against Porto in the first round of the European Cup Winners’ Cup and Jim Steel’s goal at The Racecourse gave the Reds a 1-0 first leg lead.

Not many gave Wrexham a chance in the return clash but although they lost 4-3, with Jake King (2) and Barry Horne’s last-gasp volley, Bobby Roberts’ outfit won on the away goals rule.

JANUARY 4 1992

Wrexham caused one of the biggest FA Cup shocks of all time against Arsenal.

Arsenal arrived at The Racecourse for the third round tie having won the league the previous season while Wrexham had finished bottom of Division Four but Brian Flynn’s side triumphed 2-1.

The Gunners took the lead but Mickey Thomas equalised with a never-to-be forgotten free-kick and Steve Watkin - the local lad from Acrefair - scored the winner in what Flynn described as ‘Roy of The Rovers’ style.

APRIL 27 1993

A CHANGE in fortunes in the league saw the Reds win promotion from Division Three.

Wrexham had endured several seasons battling it out in the fourth tier of the Football League but Flynn turned the Reds into promotion challengers and they finished the job off in Northampton with a game to spare.

Striker Gary Bennett scored twice in a 2-0 victory at The County Ground as Wrexham secured runners-up spot in front of thousands of jubilant Reds’ fans.

MAY 21 1995

Wrexham set a new Welsh Cup record.

This was the last season for nearly 20 years that Welsh teams playing in the English league system were allowed to participate in the competition and Wrexham beat Cardiff City 2-1 in the final at The National Stadium to lift the trophy for a record 23rd time.

The brilliant Bennett scored his 46th and 47th goals of a prolific season for the striker, helping Wrexham edge clear of Cardiff who have won the trophy on 22 occasions.

JANUARY 25 1997

THE REDS beat West Ham United en route to the quarter-finals of the FA Cup for the third time in their history.

Kevin Russell scored the winning goal in the dying minutes of the third round replay at Upton Park.

Peterborough were disposed of in round four before Wrexham shocked Birmingham City 3-1. But Flynn’s side saw their amazing run come to an end as they lost 1-0 at Chesterfield in an all-Division Two quarter final.

APRIL 26 2003

WREXHAM clinched promotion and an immediate return to Division Two.

Having suffered relegation to the third division, Denis Smith quickly turned things around and a 5-0 thrashing of Cambridge United meant the Reds’ stay in the fourth tier only lasted one season.

Paul Barrett, Brian Carey, Steve Roberts, Paul Edwards and Lee Jones were the scorers at a packed Racecourse and Wrexham were promoted with two games remaining as they finally finished third in the table.

APRIL 10 2005

Financial troubles were forgotten as Wrexham lifted the Football League Trophy at The Millennium Stadium.

Off the field problems had dogged the club and Wrexham also had to deal with a points deduction for going into administration.

But the Reds, battling against relegation from League One, put that to one side as beat Southend United 2-0 in the final.

The game went to extra-time but 20,000 Wrexham fans saw their side secure victory thanks to goals from Juan Ugarte and Darren Ferguson on a day to remember in Cardiff.

MAY 5 2007

Success of a different kind as Wrexham avoided relegation from the Football League.

Wrexham found themselves battling against the dreaded drop into the Conference but an impressive late run of form gave them a chance of staying up going into the final game of the campaign.

It was a winner-takes-all encounter against fellow strugglers Boston in front of a full-house at The Racecourse.

Despite trailing at the break, second half goals from Ryan Valentine, Michael Proctor and Chris Llewellyn made sure the Reds had a stay of execution. But 11 months later they were sentenced to 15 years of non-league football.

MARCH 24 2013

A first ever Wembley date ended with more silverware for the Reds.

Wrexham reached the FA Trophy final, ans battled through snow and ice to get there and Andy Morrell’s side rose to the occasion, beating Grimsby Town in a penalty shoot-out.

The game had finished 1-1 after 90 minutes - Kevin Thornton was on target for Wrexham - while extra-time also failed to separate the sides but Adrian Cieslewicz, Chris Westwood, Danny Wright and Johnny Hunt put away their spot-kicks for the triumphant Reds.

OCTOBER 30 2021

HOLLYWOOD owners Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds made their Racecourse bow.

But it’s no dream debut for the duo, who had seen Wrexham lose 3-2 at Maidenhead four days earlier.

Harry Lennon gave Wrexham the lead but Torquay United hit back to draw 1-1.

APRIL 22 2023

A DAY Wrexham fans will never ever forget.

After 15 years in non-league football, Phil Parkinson’s Reds celebrated winning the National League title with a 3-1 win against Boreham Wood at The Racecourse, prompting celebrations galore and a subsequent 40,000 fans turned out for the victory parade around the town.