PHIL PARKINSON believes Marine striker Niall Cummins should have been sent off following his late challenge on Wrexham goalkeeper Rob Lainton in Saturday’s FA Cup fourth qualifying round stalemate at Rossett Park.

Lainton was knocked unconscious and Parkinson revealed after the 1-1 draw that the Reds’ stopper, who was unable to continue because of the head injury but was able to walk off the pitch before being replaced by Christian Dibble in the 13th minute, had also broken his nose.

Referee Garreth Rhodes only showed Cummins a yellow card and Parkinson felt it deserved a bigger punishment.

“We have had to contend with a lot during the game with Rob coming off,” said Parkinson.

“I haven’t seen the challenge yet with my own eye; looking at the challenge, I wasn’t happy with the lad going for the ball and Rob has ended up unconscious on the pitch, and a broken nose.

“I am going to look closely at that challenge because they are the type of moments in football that need to be dealt with stronger than a yellow card.

“He spilt the first one but he got hold of the second one and the lad has just booted him straight in the face.

“For me the referee needed to be stronger there but I suppose coming here with the crowd and everything, sometimes you don’t get those calls but I just feel when it’s a dangerous incident which has got the chance to severely injure one of our players, then questions have got to be asked.”

Marine were the better team throughout the contest and good value for their 78th minute lead as Wrexham, not for the first time this season, failed to deal with a set-piece.

It looked like the Reds were exiting the famous competition but midfielder Jordan Davies equalised with a brilliant free-kick in the fifth minute of stoppage time to earn a replay which will take place tomorrow night at Nantwich Town because The Racecourse pitch has been relaid.

Parkinson admits it was a tough work-out for his side against opponents who play three divisions below Wrexham in Northern Premier League Division One West, with a moment of quality by Davies earning the Reds another bite of the cherry.

“I am pleased to be in the hat after going a goal down at a place like this and a team which has done well in the FA Cup,” said Parkinson.

“We would like to have shown more quality at times which we know we have got but it was 100 miles an hour.

“In that type of game you need that bit of calmness, someone to take that touch on the ball, a bit of awareness around you to get that first pass off and we didn’t do that enough but it was difficult, and there will be other teams who have played at difficult environments today who will have found similar scenarios.”

Parkinson expected a difficult match and he got it as Wrexham got out of jail thanks to Davies’ last gasp heroics.

“It was always going to be a tough game,” said Parkinson.

“Competitive all over the pitch, first and second balls, and I thought in the main we dealt with it well.

“We didn’t play with the quality we would have liked to do but we stuck at it.

“It was disappointing to concede the goal and a great goal has got us back in it, and we are still in the hat for the next round.

“We’ve got a great moment from Jordan and it really is a top class free-kick.”