THERE wasn't much for Wrexham supporters to celebrate in 2020 and the year ended with a 2-0 defeat at Stockport County.

Wrexham narrowly avoided relegation when a 'points per game' method was used to determine the league table after a miserable 2019-20 season was ended early because of the pandemic.

The current campaign has been stop-start with games regularly being postponed due to Covid-19 outbreaks and the Reds have struggled for consistency.

Dean Keates' side have ground to make up on the play-off positions after losing at Edgeley Park but with the exciting takeover by Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney expected to be finalised early in the new year, there is a lot to look forward to at The Racecourse.

But results will need to be a lot better if Wrexham are going to challenge for a top-seven berth in 2021.

The damage was done in the opening 15 minutes at Edgeley Park as the Reds found themselves 2-0 down, and it could have been more following a one-sided first half.

Wrexham came more into the game after the break but were unable to get themselves back into the contest and Stockport won the battle of the two former Football League clubs.

Keates gave fringe players a chance to impress in the FA Trophy Trophy defeat against Leamington nine days earlier but he welcomed back his regulars for the clash at Stockport.

Only Shaun Pearson, Jordan Davies, Elliott Durrell and Kwame Thomas kept their places as the Reds' boss made seven changes with Rob Lainton, Fiacre Kelleher, Theo Vassell, Reece Hall-Johnson, Luke Young, Jay Harris and Jordan Ponticelli returning to the side.

Christian Dibble, Max Cleworth, Mark Carrington, Paul Rutherford, James Horsfield, Dan Jarvis and Adi Yussuf missed out as Keates kept faith with a 3-5-3 formation.

Two ex-Wrexham players - Connor Jennings and Alex Reid - started for Stockport but John Rooney, another ex-Red, was suspended and James Jennings was not involved.

Stockport made a lively start and almost took a third minute lead as Richie Bennett's drive from the edge of the area took a deflection off Pearson and hit the post.

Lainton pulled off a good save to deny Bennett who got in behind Pearson but the pressure told in the end as Stockport went 1-0 up in the 13th minute.

Macauley Southam-Hales played in Jennings who pulled the ball back from the by-line and Bennett slotted home.

Young fired wide at the other end but it got worse for Wrexham two minutes later as County made it 2-0.

Southam-Hales delivered a corner and Jordan Keane took advantage of poor marking to plant his header past Lainton.

Mark Kitching was off target with a free-kick as the home side continued to press and Wrexham were given a let-off when the midfielder whipped in a corner and an unmarked Reid headed over from close range.

Wrexham had a strong shout for a penalty when Davies appeared to have been dragged down in the area by Southam-Hales but it wasn't given.

But Stockport were creating the chances and almost had another goal just before the break as Reid headed against the bar from Kitching's corner with Lainton appearing to get a touch before Louis Maynard's follow-up was cleared off the line by Davies.

The Reds should have reduced the deficit at the start of the second half when Thomas flicked the ball on for Ponticelli who was one on one with keeper Ben Hinchcliffe but the striker cleared the bar.

Lainton thwarted Reid at the other end while Davies' free-kick was saved by Hinchcliffe who had little to do up until that point.

Keates made a double substitution in the 67th minute with Jarvis and Yussuf replacing Durrell and Thomas, and the replacement striker saw an effort comfortably gathered by Hinchcliffe after Jennings' powerful shot was well held by Lainton.

Wrexham were seeing a lot more of the ball without creating anything of note and after Bennett fired wide for Stockport, Rutherford replaced Harris in the Reds' final change.

Time was running out for Wrexham who saw Young's deflected effort strike the crossbar but Stockport also went close as Reid failed to take a good opportunity and Lainton pulled off a superb save to deny Jennings.

Neither side was able to trouble the scoreline and Stockport ended the year with three points.

Stockport (3-4-3): Hinchcliffe; Stott, Keane, Hogan; Southam-Hales (Minihan 68), Maynard, Croasdale, Kitching; Jennings, Bennett (Britton 90), Reid (Williams 85). Subs: Barnes, Gilmour, Britton.

Wrexham (3-5-2): Lainton; Kelleher, Pearson, Vassell; Hall-Johnson, Durrell (Jarvis 67), Harris (Rutherford 82), Young, Davies; Thomas (Yussuf 67), Ponticelli. Subs: Dibble, Horsfield.