NOBODY gave Connah's Quay Nomads a chance but Andy Morrison's understrength side did their manager proud as they were cruelly beaten at The Racecourse.

Nomads were seconds away from taking the tie into extra time but the hosts conceded a penalty deep into added time that Dinamo Tbilisi converted to win 1-0 and progress in the Europa League.

The odds were stacked against Nomads from the start after it was announced the day before the match that three senior players had tested positive for coronavirus with an additional two players showing symptoms of the virus.

As a result, all five were put into self isolation and Morrison's plans were hampered further as he was also without two of his most experienced players.

Skipper George Horan failed to recover from a hamstring problem which kept the centre-back out of Saturday's opening day 1-1 draw with Bala Town, while vice-captain Callum Morris also missed out through injury.

It left Morrison with just three substitutes - including a goalkeeper and one youth team player - so the Nomads boss was practically down to the bare bones.

In typical Morrison fashion, he said his side would "die for Connah's Quay" and relish the battle - which they did - but late heartbreak meant the Welsh champions' European adventure come to an end.

Nomads, beaten 2-0 by Sarajevo in last month's Champions League first qualifying round tie to set up a first ever clash with Dinamo, made a bright start and forced a couple of early corners.

Dinamo, who registered a 3-1 win over Dinamo Batumi in a top of the table clash at the weekend enabling them to regain the leadership of Georgia's Crystalbet Erovnuli Liga, began to enjoy a good spell of possession.

Nomads were defending for their lives and a crucial block in the 14th minute meant Nodar Kavtaradze's shot was deflected out for a corner which was cleared.

Morrison would have breathed a sigh of relief when goalkeeper Lewis Brass was given the all clear to continue after receiving treatment for an injury.

Dinamo came close to taking the lead on 24 minutes following a quick break, Giorgi Kimadze seeing his 20-yard shot strike the crossbar.

Giorgi Zaria failed to hit the target from outside the area and with Dynamo continuing to press, Kavtaradze's effort deflected wide for another corner.

Nomads began to see a lot more of the ball and as they made a strong finish to the half, almost took the lead in added time.

A throw-in was returned to acting captain Priestley Farquharson who put the ball back into the danger zone and Jamie Insall's spectacular bicycle kick was brilliantly saved by Dinamo keeper Roin Kvaskhvadze.

It was so far, so good as Nomads reached half-time on level terms - and unlucky not to be ahead following that late chance.

Nomads also had the first real opportunity in the second half as Aeron Edwards' volleys across goal fell wide of the mark.

With the home side showing more attacking intent, a well-placed Insall was again denied by Kvaskhvadze but the goal wouldn't have counted as the offside flag was up.

Nomads, full of confidence, had defended heroically and were more than matching Dinamo, having a good spell where they were on top.

It was still evenly poised when Aron Williams came on for his European debut in place of the injured Insall with four minutes remaining.

Daniel Davies couldn't keep his shot down with another Nomads sight of goal while substitute Pernambuco fired wide for Dinamo in added time.

The five minutes of injury time were up when disaster struck as Callum Roberts conceded a penalty right at the death.

Giorgi Gabedava put away the spot-kick and there was no time left for Nomads to recover as they suffered a heartbreaking defeat, with Dinamo progressing to a third qualifying round tie with KI Klaksvík of the Faroe Islands.

Connah's Quay Nomads (4-3-3): Brass; Davies, Disney, Farquharson, Roberts; Edwards, Owen, Dool; Poole, Insall (Aron Williams 46), Owens. Subs: Byrne, Sam Williams.

Dinamo Tbilisi (4-2-3-1): Kvaskhvadze; Kimadze, Kobouri, Gbegnon, Iashvili; Kardava, Papava; Kavtaradze, Zaria (Kapanadze 81), Oršula (Pernambuco 58); Gabedava. Subs: Migineishvili, Klooster, Mongil, Kukhianidze, Kutsia.

Referee: Alain Durieux.