DEAN KEATES admits he was a "bit surprised" that National League chiefs opted against suspending fixtures.

The coronavirus outbreak has decimated the sporting schedule both at home and abroad, with the Premier League and English Football League halted until April 3, "subject to medical advice and conditions at the time".

However, the National League decided on Friday to allow matches in its three divisions to proceed as planned at the weekend, including Wrexham's trip to leaders Barrow.

But the clash at Holker Street was postponed after one of the Reds' first-team players was advised to self isolate due to the pandemic.

Keates had no qualms about calling the game off, although he didn't think any would get the green light.

"Obviously the game was instructed to go ahead," said Keates.

"We prepared properly the days before it, then we came in after training on Friday and saw what had happened regarding the Football League and the Premier League.

"The players had left, had their minds on the game and we were ready to go.

"I was a bit surprised regarding the league's decision but then there's been a case in the club that somebody was taken ill on Friday afternoon.

"The player had it for a few days, he has taken a turn and was advised to go into self isolation."

Keates said it was vital that Wrexham played their part in trying to prevent coronavirus from spreading.

"As a club we are aware what has happened with one first team squad member and there is the possibility that it could happen with more," said Keates.

"It is something that we need to keep a close eye on over the next few days.

"It is a health matter and when you look at what is going on all over the world, it is way bigger than football.

"Ultimately it is peoples lives and you don't want to play a football match and we have played a part in the epidemic being spread around."

Wrexham's next scheduled game is on Saturday when high-flying Boreham Wood are due to visit The Racecourse.

But Keates gave no indication on whether the fixture would go ahead at this moment in time.

"There is no deadline set on it," said Keates.

"There is no game until the weekend so we have got a bit of time on our hands now and we will see how it goes.

"The club doctor has had a chat with the players regarding it all and the best route that we can look at health-wise, and what we need to do to limit the possibility that you might end up contracting it.

"The players have been told to follow all the guidelines and do everything that needs to be done."

Last month's home fixture against Torquay was postponed due to safety and weather concerns as a result of Storm Dennis hitting the country.

Although Keates would rather not call games off as lowly Wrexham aim to avoid the threat of relegation, the Reds' boss insists health and safety is the priority.

"We want to be playing," added Keates.

"We expected the game to go ahead but we had the development late on Friday afternoon and it was a decision that the football club had to make.

"Unfortunately we had storms over the last month or so and it was the right reason the game was called off because it was health and safety again."