IT wasn't exactly revenge for last season's play-off defeat but the importance of Wrexham's win against Eastleigh cannot be under-estimated.

Two goals from on-loan Omari Patrick secured a much needed 2-0 victory in the fight against relegation as Wrexham also picked up a first away win of the season.

Dean Keates' side went into the game on the back of Saturday's 2-1 defeat at fellow strugglers Ebbsfleet which saw Wrexham drop to the bottom of the table - the club's lowest ever league position.

But the Reds looked anything but a team at the wrong end of the National League in a fantastic first half.

The players must be lacking confidence but they didn't show it as they produced an excellent performance, and they were rewarded with two well-taken goals from Patrick.

It was a lead that Wrexham thoroughly deserved but as expected, they had to withstand a lot of pressure from the mid-table Spitfires after the break.

But Wrexham were solidly defensively and limited Eastleigh to a few half chances, with Wrexham going close at the other end to adding to their two-goals.

Patrick's brace proved to be enough and was the perfect way to start the second half of the campaign after Wrexham only took 20 points from the first 23 games.

The Reds are still in trouble and have a lot of work to do in the fight against relegation but they are now fourth from bottom and just two points away from safety going into Saturday's home game against high-flying Solihull Moors.

The starting line-up showed one change from the side that lost at Ebbsfleet three days earlier.

Mark Carrington came in for Luke Summerfield, and it meant a change in formation as Keates switched from 4-3-3 to a 5-3-2 system.

Carrington slotted in at right-wing back, meaning Kieran Kennedy moved across to be a third centre-half, with Bobby Grant and Patrick forming a two-man attack.

Jason Oswell was included among the substitutes after recovering from a stomach injury but there was still no place for another striker, JJ Hooper, who remains sidelined with an ankle problem.

Early pressure from Eastleigh led to a sixth minute chance but Sam Smart fired wide after Tyrone Barnett headed a free-kick back into the mix.

Wrexham soon had their first sight of goal as Patrick's effort was blocked and Akil Wright's drive was saved by goalkeeper Max Stryjek.

However, the Reds went on to take an 17th minute lead.

James Jennings beat a defender and sent in a low cross from the by-line that was converted by Patrick.

Jake Lawlor did well to ensure Wrexham didn't immediately concede an equaliser as he produced a vital header to prevent Smart's dangerous cross from reaching Barnett.

Wrexham almost made it 2-0 on 28 minutes after Patrick won a corner but Kennedy's header from Jennings' centre fell inches wide of the target.

Although the Reds were guilty of gifting the ball back to Eastleigh when they attempted to clear their lines on a few occasions, solid defending kept the hosts and bay.

And Wrexham doubled their advantage three minutes before the break.

Wright made a superb tackle to win possession and Bobby Grant played in Patrick who shrugged off his marker before slotting past Stryjek.

A mistake by Kennedy at the end of the first half wasn't punished as Scott Rendell's shot was saved by Rob Lainton.

Eastleigh pressed for a goal at the start of the second half but Wrexham held firm and almost scored a third goal when Wright's pass found Patrick who raced into the area and brought a save out of Stryjek.

The Spitfires won their share of corners but Wrexham were quick to counter-attack with Patrick, looking for his hat-trick, always a willing runner.

Charlie Seaman's free-kick cleared the bar while Eastleigh went even closer as Jennings got a block to Marcus Barnes' shot and the ball fell wide.

Keates made his first change in the 79th minute as Mark Harris replaced Patrick while Grant was denied by Stryjek when Wrexham broke.

Oswell replaced Grant with four minutes to go and Wrexham made sure there was no late drama as they got the three points.