WREXHAM are in the hat for the FA Cup second round draw - but the Reds would have avoided a replay if they'd taken their chances.

Dean Keates' side, struggling at the wrong end of the National League, were underdogs in their first round tie with League One Rochdale at The Racecourse.

But the Reds gave a good account of themselves against a team playing two divisions higher, had the better opportunities and should have won the game.

Two good chances from Ben Tollitt went begging in the opening 15 minutes and Wrexham also took the game to the visitors at the start of the second half.

Although Rochdale came more into it, it was Wrexham who still had the better openings and Shaun Pearson was denied by goalkeeper heroics and Akil Wright struck the post late on for the Reds.

But the goal never came despite producing a decent performance against a team from a higher level and Wrexham will now have a replay at Spotland next week.

The starting line-up showed one change from the side that began the 1-0 win against league leaders Bromley the previous weekend.

On-loan defender James Horsfield suffered a serious ligament injury in Keates' first league victory since returning to The Racecourse for a second term as manager so Mark Carrington came in at right-back.

Two former Wrexham attackers, Matty Done and Rekeil Pyke, were named in a strong Rochdale team.

Wrexham should have taken the lead in the fourth minute following confusion in the Rochdale defence.

Rob Lainton's long clearance wasn't dealt with by Rochdale's two centre-backs and Tollitt fired wide with only goalkeeper Robert Sanchez to beat.

Lainton made a comfortable save Jimmy Keohane in Rochdale's first chance of the game but Wrexham came even closer in the 12th minute.

Tollitt raced onto Wright's flick-on and his shot from just outside the area struck the post.

Aaron Morley wasn't far away with a free-kick that fell wide for the visitors while Wright headed off target from Carrington's high cross at the other end.

Callum Camps couldn't keep a shot down and Done's effort was saved by Lainton following Ian Henderson's cut-back with the final opportunity of the first half.

Mark Harris replaced Tollitt for the start of the second period and Wrexham made all the running after the restart.

Bobby Grant volleyed wide from Paul Rutherford's neat flick and the Reds had a penalty appeal turned down despite Grant appearing to have been brought down by MJ Williams.

Harris only just cleared the bar from James Jennings' cross and the left-back also headed over as Wrexham continued their good start to the half.

There was another penalty shout with claims Wright's cross was handled by Eoghan O'Connell while Grant's header was saved by Sanchez at the second attempt and the goalkeeper was fouled by Grant as he tried to bundle the ball across the line.

Keohane had an effort deflected wide as Rochdale countered and Jimmy Ryan also failed to test Lainton.

Back came Wrexham and Harris's drive was gathered by Sanchez who then made a brilliant save to turn Pearson's header behind for a corner following Luke Young's corner.

Wright almost won it with five minutes remaining but he hit the post from Jennings' pull back after good work by Rutherford.

Harris brought an injury time save out of Sanchez while Lainton stopped Williams from snatching it for Rochdale at the death as it finished in a draw.

Wrexham (4-3-3): Lainton; Carrington, Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings; Summerfield, Young, Wright; Rutherford, Grant, Tollitt (Harris 46). Subs: Dibble, Barnum-Bobb, Redmond, Oswell, Chambers, Harris, McIntosh.

Rochdale (4-3-3): Sanchez; Keohane, O'Connell, Williams, Norrington-Davies; Ryan, Camps, Morley (Tavares 55), Pyke (McLaughlin 67), Henderson, Done (Andrew 84). Subs: Lynch, Bradley, Hopper, Mattieson.

Attendance: 3,274 (582 from Rochdale).