RGC’s disappointing end to the Principality Premiership season continued with an 18-14 home loss to Pontypridd.

The Gogs’ were undone by a strong second half showing from their South Walian opponents, with the game played in treacherous conditions due to the impact of Strom Hannah on the region.

Despite the eventual result it was the home side that started the brighter and they were rewarded for their excellent opening to proceedings early on when scrum-half Nick Butterworth made the most of a rare start when he dotted over for the first try of the contest on eight minutes. Billy McBryde added the extras.

The former Pwllheli skipper was a livewire in the opening exchanges, but the away side weathered the storm in more ways than one and got themselves back into the tie on 16 minutes when a driving maul saw Rob Jones go over from close range, with Ceri Sweeney successful with the conversion attempt.

This was swiftly followed by another neat passage of play from the visitors, who got their noses in front for the first time after 21 minutes when Alex Webber demonstrated his trademark pace to cross the white wash for an unconverted try.

The hosts almost got back on level terms soon after when Sam Jones was denied right at the last second by a tackle that pushed him out of bounds after more good work from Butterworth, but they did get themselves on the scoresheet again just before the break when Wales 7s international Afon Bagshaw did well to collect a lose ball before evading a tackle for a well-worked touch down. Mcbryde added the extras to give the Gogs’ a two-point advantage at the interval.

The second half saw Ponty pile on the pressure as they handled conditions impressively, but the RGC defence was holding firm for the most part but infringements would take their toll as the period progressed.

Sweeney drilled the away side ahead with two successful penalties, with Will Bryan’s yellow card ending hopes of Jones’ men securing anything from the game at Stadiwm Zip World.