NORTH WALES CRUSADERS conceded three tries in the final 20 minutes as Oldham nicked a 16-14 win in Wrexham, writes RYAN GOULD.

For large parts of the game, Crusaders were the better side and made life extremely difficult for their League One rivals.

With a 14-0 lead on the hour mark in torrid conditions, it looked as though the Cru were going to see out a win.

However, Lee Kershaw began the scoring for Oldham and they then struck another couple of times late on to bag the two points.

Oldham were awarded a penalty early on and opted to kick for goal, but David Hewitt was unsuccessful and sliced it wide of the posts.

It was Crusaders who opened the scoring when, after receiving a penalty near Oldham’s line, they assaulted the left flank and Earl Hurst managed to twist a tackle to touch down out wide.

Ben Stead then kicked a 40-20 as the hosts continued to pile on the pressure, but they weren’t able to turn the territory into points.

Oldham were reduced to 12 men for 10 minutes as Aaron Jones-Bishop was sent to the sin-bin for a spear tackle.

Although North Wales tried to capitalise on their man advantage, Oldham stood firm in defence and limited the hosts to a 6-0 half-time lead.

Early in the second half, Steve Roper drilled a kick into the left corner and an outstanding chase forced an error from Ritchie Hawkyard at fullback.

They took full advantage of the field position as Brad Brennan showed his strength to turn an attempted tackle and dot the ball down on the line.

Crusaders were then awarded a penalty 20 metres out and opted to kick for goal, with Stead extending their lead to 14-0.

Oldham had a spell of pressure afterwards, though, and Daniel Grimshaw went close, dropping the ball as he tried to dot it down on the line.

However, the visitors eventually found their way over when they floated a high kick to the left flank and Kershaw leapt highest to claim the ball, diving in at the corner.

After Crusaders had gained a couple of repeat sets and were back in the ascendency, Kershaw intercepted Elliott Jenkins’ pass to race 80 metres upfield and cross underneath the sticks. And Oldham completed the comeback late on when a nice offload near the line put Hewitt over.

Dave Eccleston was sent to the sin-bin on the full-time hooter for dangerous play to add to the frustration.

Hunslet routed West Wales Raiders 58-4, Coventry Bears lost 40-8 at Keighley, Doncaster were 20-10 victors against Workington, while Newcastle Eagles triumphed 48-12 at London Skolars.