HUW GRIFFITHS labelled Cefn Druids’ second-half capitulation at the hands of Llanelli Town as a “mystery”.

The Ancients were cruising at the break as goals from Dean Rittenberg and James Davies put the hosts two goals to the good, although it could have been more.

But within two minutes of the restart James Loveridge gave Llanelli a foothold in the game and the visitors slowly gained the ascendancy.

Loveridge levelled matters with just over 15 minutes remaining, before disaster struck Druids as Chris Jones won it for Llanelli with a penalty deep into stoppage time.

Griffiths was bemused by events over the 90 plus minutes, saying: “We were excellent in the first-half and if we’d scored four or five it wouldn’t have been unjust because we were that good.

“But then half time came and the rest of what happened is a mystery. They scored very early on in the second-half and that galvanised us.

“We began to panic a little bit and I changed the system, which I take some blame for because it didn’t work.”

Asked if there is cause for concern after Druids, who qualified for the Europa League this summer after winning the play-offs, lost to both newly promoted teams – Caernarfon and Llanelli - Griffiths continued: “I need to look at myself and look at the squad of players I’ve got.

“Certain things are (concerning), definitely, but there aren’t major things wrong and it’s good that we’ve got one of the top teams next in Bala.

“The next three games we’ve got are against Bala, Llandudno and Cardiff Met having lost to the two newly promoted teams.

“But we are only two games in, we’ve got 20 games remaining and we need to remain calm and focused.”

Newtown picked up their first win of the season, and in turn inflicted a maiden defeat on Caernarfon Town as the Robins triumphed 2-0 at Latham Park.

Joe Kenton and Neil Mitchell scored towards the end of either half to secure the points for Chris Hughes’ men, who had captain Craig Williams sent-off midway through the second period.

Hughes said: “We weren’t as good in possession as we were last week, and both sides have had chances, but the main thing is that we got off the mark.”

In the opposite camp, Caernarfon boss Sean Eardley tweeted: “Mixed emotions. Gutted with the result as my players gave me everything and the @CaernarfonTown fans were terrific. Credit to @NewtownAFC they stood firm.”

Cardiff Met showed they mean business by securing a 4-1 victory at Aberystwyth Town.

Elliot Evans’ double and a Sam Snaith effort put Met 3-0 in front at the break, before Chris Baker added a fourth just after the hour.

Wes Baynes netted a consolation for Aberystwyth soon, but Nev Powell’s side were comfortably beaten.

Powell said: “The players are hurting, but we’ll dust ourselves down, learn from our mistakes and look forward to next week’s challenge away at Connah’s Quay Nomads.”