THE owners of Brynkinalt Hall in Chirk say they are extremely grateful for the fast actions of the fire services after a chimney blaze at the 17th century property.

Iain and Kate Hill-Trevor were alerted to the fire in the library by a smoke alarm at the listed building last Wednesday night

Fire crews from Chirk, Llangollen and Wrexham attended the scene and ensured the fire didn't spread after debris in the chimney had set ablaze.

Mr Hill-Trevor said: "It was a simple chimney fire, but the flues are quite complicated.

"As the building was built in 1612, the construction of it and the flues which all link to one chimney are complex.

"But the fire brigade responded very quickly and were extremely efficient and calm.

"They stayed for a couple of hours and did a very thorough job to make sure everything was safe.

"We are extremely grateful for their quick response and hard work. Luckily there was minimal damage."