EXPERT analysis of phone data has been heard by the court at Barry Bagnall’s trial at Mold Crown Court today, June 11.

Bagnall, 42, stands accused of murdering 60-year-old Terry Edwards at his home in Pont Wen, Caia Park last summer.

The forklift truck driver is also has a charged with perverting the course of justice.

Halfway through Bagnall’s four-week trial, a telecommunications expert from North Wales Police, Chris Walsh spent Friday giving evidence gathered as part of the investigation.

The court heard that Bagnall owned a smartphone linked to the Vodaphone network while Mr Edwards had a phone on the EE network and could not access the internet.

The jury were shown maps created by the police from this case.

The data gathering was centred around Mr Edwards home in Pont Wen where he was found dead. Another map covered the home address of Bagnall.

Mr Walsh said that he looked to find if Bagnall was in or around the area of Trevenna Way - his home address - at the time Mr Edwards is believed to have died.

The expert investigator said that he had surveyed every room in both Mr Edwards flat as well as Bagnall for accurate readings - as well as the general area between the two.

The court heard that he also surveyed areas of the Co-Op store on Holt Road.

Mr Walsh was asked to investigate if Bagnall could be placed at his home address in Trevenna Way on Saturday morning, May 30.

A police statement taken from Bagnall on June 14 claimed that he went to Mr Edwards home address on May 29 and then used some drugs he scored in the shed at home.

He said that he slept at his home address, waking up on Saturday morning between 10 and 11am. He claimed that he did not stay at Mr Edwards address that night.

The jury were directed to a 2hr 21min internet session picked up from Bagnall's phone between midnight and 10am on Saturday, May 30.

Mr Walsh said it was difficult to pinpoint how much of that time he spent actively using the device, as explained earlier, but can place him at Trevenna Way.

Moving forward, there is then a text message picked up sent to Bagnall's device at around 11am using the tower nearer to Pont Wen than his home address in Trevenna Way.

In fact, by 9.41am, Mr Walsh said that Bagnall's device was picked up in the Pont Wen area.

Another message is later received in the same area of Pont Wen at around 11.50am.

Mr Walsh said that the data gathered does not support Bagnall's claims of being at home in Trevenna Way on Saturday morning.

The prosecutor said Bagnall claimed in police statements that he went to Mr Edwards address on Saturday at around 1pm.

He told police that he went to the flat that afternoon but had no answer from Mr Edwards.

At 12.19pm, Mr Walsh said that a call was made to Mr Edwards.

This is the last form of activity picked up on his device. It was roughly pinned as being in the Pont Wen area of Caia Park.

At this time, the phone linked to Mr Edwards was disconnected from the mobile network at around 12.36pm.

At 12.25pm, Bagnall gets a text data burst and is in the Pont Wen area - roughly - according to the cell masts.

The court heard that previous witness called - Mervin Trow - made a call to Mr Edwards at around 12.35pm.

He also made an unsuccessful attempt to call Mr Edwards.

There is a phone record available to show these were made by Mr Trow however there is no record of either in Mr Edwards data.

This means that Mr Edwards phone had now been disconnected from the network for good.

Mr Walsh explained this can be done simply by removing the phone power source (i.e. battery)

The jury were shown CCTV footage to assist with what Mr Walsh was explaining.

It showed a street view before zooming into a lane along the Queensway area of Caia Park estate. It is claimed the man in the footage is Bagnall.

It was filmed at around 12.36pm - when the phone belonging to Mr Edwards was disconnected from the mobile network.

The film showed, at around 12.42pm, Bagnall holding a jacket and walking towards a cashpoint a short distance away.

Here, he withdraws £30 from Mr Edwards bank account, the prosecution told the court.

In the lane where the CCTV was filmed, police recovered an Alcatel battery in the area just before turning out of the lane. This brand matched the phone owned by Mr Edwards.

It was recovered on October 6, months on from the 60-year-old dying.

The jury had previously heard from neighbours recalling the final times they saw Terry Edwards alive but also from crime scene experts that were involved in the investigation.