Man spared jail after series of thefts in Chester and Wales

Wrexham Magistrates Court <i>(Image: Staff)</i>
Wrexham Magistrates Court (Image: Staff)
This article is brought to you by our exclusive subscriber partnership with our sister title USA Today, and has been written by our American colleagues. It does not necessarily reflect the view of The Herald.

A MAN has been banned from a raft of shops and venues for six years after a 'targeted' series of thefts and damage.

Martin Reynolds, of Broughton Hall Road in Broughton, appeared at Wrexham Magistrates Court for sentence on Tuesday.

The 56-year-old had previously admitted many offences, including:

  • Theft from shop x 14
  • Threat to damage or destroy property x1
  • Burglary x 1
  • Fail to surrender to police/court bail x 3
  • Assault by beating x 1
  • Criminal damage x 2
  • Use threatening or abusive words or behaviour x 1

District Judge Gwyn Jones summarised the case by saying that the charges largely spoke for themselves.

Reynolds had taken high-value goods whilst 'targeting stores in Wales and Chester' and making threats to staff at some of those stores when challenged, and assaulted a staff member on one of those occasions.

The stores and locations he targeted included Boots, Co-op, Thrifty's, Tesco, The Mill House Inn, Aldi, Sainsbury's, M&S and Charlie's.

Among the higher-value thefts and damage matters were incidents such as the theft of electricals worth £784.41 from Boots in Chester on April 7 this year, theft of items worth £210 from Boots in Mold, damaging a roller shutter door at Thrifty's Convenience Store in Broughton to the value of £1,000 on Christmas Day last year, theft of £616 worth of goods from Boots in Chester on May 11 this year and meat/flowers worth £210 from Aldi in Broughton on April 25 this year.

Judge Jones remarked that the defendant's damage of the roller shutter on Christmas Day had caused the shop to not be able to open on Boxing day, when it would have been expected to be "pretty busy".

Reynold's threat to damage property took place when he told a person he'd burn Thrifty Convenience Store in Broughton down on January 22 this year.

And the burglary involved him entering the Mill House Inn, Chester Road, Broughton, as a trespasser on May 18 this year before taking £120 worth of food items.

Elzbeth Kenny, defending, told the court: "He has been the architect of his own design.

"He has been vulnerable in the past and initially his downfall was alcohol, then street substance misuse.

"He's explained that when he's committed these offences, however distasteful, he was under the influence of drugs and alcohol - always in a vicious cycle of trying to raise money.

"The vast majority of these offences were when his benefits were sanctioned and he had no money to provide himself with food and heating.

"What he's explained to me eloquently, and with paperwork to support it is that he's now been diagnosed with something that's life-threatening.

"His illness has exacerbated since the commission of these offences and he's gone downhill very fast.

"He has explained that he has stable accommodation now and his benefits are in order. He apologises to the people he's upset."

The Judge told Reynolds: "Whilst I take on board you may not be a particularly well man, it hasn't prevented you from going to these shops and stealing high value goods."

The Judge imposed an overall sentence of 52 weeks - which the defendant interjected would cause him to lose his flat.

But he then became emotional and wept his thanks when Judge Jones announced the sentence would be suspended for two years with no requirements.

The Judge announced however that Reynolds would pay a significant amount of compensation to the victims of his offending.

It amounts to £3,419.67 and encompasses the goods he stole, the damage he caused and compensation for the victim he assaulted.

Judge Jones also made the defendant the subject of a restraining order, preventing him from entering any Tesco, Boots, M&S, Co-op, Sainsbury's, Aldi, Charlie's, Thriftys and the Mill House Inn for six years.

Get involved
with the news

Send your news & photos