A WOMAN who orchestrated a petrol-bomb revenge attack against her mother-in-law has been locked up.

Alisha Anwar, of The Oval in Pentre Maelor, Wrexham, appeared at Mold Crown Court for sentence on Wednesday afternoon.

The 29-year-old had admitted an offence of conspiring to commit arson at a previous hearing.

Her co-defendant, 25-year-old Luke Williams, of Gwenfro in Wrexham, also admitted conspiracy to cause arson and will be sentenced next week.

Gareth Bellis, prosecuting, told the court the victim in the case was Christina Place - the mother of Anwar's estranged husband.

During the short time Anwar and Ms Place's son were together, the victim made no secret of the fact she didn't like her and that she "wasn't good enough" for her son.

This led to further issues developing between them.

In June 2022, Anwar was in a car with Luke Williams and his partner Morwenna Evans.

During the journey, Anwar asked Williams if he'd "blow up a car" for money.

Ms Evans took it as bravado and didn't think the pair would be stupid enough to go through with anything.

But in the early hours of June 25, 2022, Christina Place was in her home at Brunel Court, Wrexham, when she noticed an orange glow outside.

Her car was ablaze, and by the time firefighters arrived, the flames had spread to two more vehicles and nearby fencing.

One witness described the car exploding.

The flames were so intense, they started to melt guttering and a window on a neighbouring property, and one of the homes had to be evacuated.

A glass bottle containing petrol was found under Ms Place's car - which was damaged beyond repair.

In the days which followed the incident, Morwenna Evans realised what the defendants must have done.

She was so concerned, she ended her friendship with Anwar and relationship with the co-defendant before informing the police.

Subsequent investigations turned up CCTV footage of Williams filling a petrol can at a garage the day before the arson.

He was then seen walking with a carrier bag in the vicinity of where the blaze took place, just minutes before, and then walking back towards his home shortly after.

When he was arrested, analysis of his phone showed he'd been searching for "arson punishment UK."

His financial records were checked, and he'd received a £150 transfer from Anwar days before the incident, with the reference disguised as "birthday money."

Mr Bellis confirmed the defendant had no previous cautions or convictions.

Mark Connor, defending, told the court: "Ms Anwar is very much aware of the court's powers.

"There has been no offending in the time since this offence.

"She made the request [for the arson] - but I suspect she was not involved in the detail of carrying it out.

"Pre-meditation clearly does apply; it was a revenge offence.

Alisha Anwar (NWP)Alisha Anwar (NWP) (Image: North Wales Police) "For a long time, she was not able to come to terms with what she had done, such was her fear of the consequences despite the weight of evidence against her.

"But she eventually made the right decision.

"She is now able to make proper and rational decisions."


Mr Connor said probation officers who interviewed his client had been "impressed by her attitude and motivation," but had also assessed her as a very vulnerable young woman.

"She is in a much better place now," he added.

"She has been a credit to society, working hard and achieving.

"She is genuinely remorseful."

Judge Niclas Parry told Anwar: "The inherent dangerousness makes any arson a very serious offence.

"The courts can't ignore the need to reflect in sentences the grave consequences that can flow from fires.

"The facts of this case are close to being staggering.

"This was all about revenge and spite in a domestic context.

The Leader:

"You were determined to seek vengeance on your mother-in-law and offered to pay your co-defendant £150 to petrol-bomb or blow it up.

"You orchestrated this conspiracy, and you're as responsible for the acts of each other in a conspiracy as your own."

The Judge handed down a 16 month custodial sentence, concluding it would have to be served immediately as the facts were simply too serious to suspend it.

A two-year restraining order was imposed to protect Ms Place and Ms Evans.