A PRISONER slapped and punched a guard after being let out of his cell, a court heard.

Tarren Mingins, who confirmed his address to be HMP Berwyn, appeared at Wrexham Magistrates Court via video link on Tuesday.

The 28-year-old admitted one offence of assault by beating of an emergency worker, which took place on April 14 this year.

Prosecutor Rhian Jackson told the court that on the day, Mingins was due to be let out of his cell to go to the Chapel.

When an officer unlocked his door and released him, Mingins subjected him to verbal abuse - calling him a "f****** s*** officer and a p****."

The defendant was informed his behaviour meant he'd be put back in his cell.

He responded by making a "swiping slap" at the officer, connecting with his head, and delivering a "solid punch" to his to the right eye.

The victim was driven home with a swollen, blackened right eye which was painful to touch and caused him dizziness and a headache.

Following a hospital assessment, it was confirmed that while no breakages or fractures had been caused, the officer had sustained "significant bruising and swelling," as well as soft tissue damage.

When Mingins was interviewed in May, he said everyone had been let out at the correct time on the day - except for him.

He accepted he'd reacted and "slapped" the officer twice.


Sam Fixter, defending, told the court his client, a father-of-three, carried out the assault due to "a lapse in his mental health."

He explained: "On the whole, he admits his actions that day.

"It is something he greatly regrets.

"It happened in a split second and then Mr Mingins retreated back to his cell.

Tarren Mingins (NWP)Tarren Mingins (NWP) (Image: North Wales Police) "Apart from one week, he has served the full four-and-a-half year term he received in 2020 and is due to be released in a week's time.

"He has a job agreed with Allied Scaffolding in Manchester.

"If you're to consider immediate custody, all of the plans made for his release would be terminated.

"I wonder today if you'd consider a term of suspended imprisonment.

"It's unorthodox as he's a serving prisoner at this stage, but he won't be in less than 10 days now."

The Leader:

But District Judge Gwyn Jones found the offence to be so serious that only immediate custody would suffice.

As such, he handed down a 26 week jail term.

"You're not going to be released as you hoped in the course of the next few weeks," the Judge told him.

"You will have slightly longer to serve at HMP Berwyn."