A drink-driver who was found unconscious in his car after crashing it has been fined and banned.

Aran Clarke, of Hall Lane in Rhosllanerchrugog, appeared at Wrexham Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

The 20-year-old admitted that on March 16, at Rhos, he drove a Ford motor vehicle in Mountain Street after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in his blood exceeded the prescribed limit.

Prosecutor Justin Espie told the court that at around 2am on the day of the offence, Clarke was driving his Ford Fiesta when he collided with a parked vehicle and a wall.

As a result, his head struck the windshield and he received a cut to his face.

He was found "slumped" unconscious over the passenger seat by a witness.

When the police arrived, Mr Espie said, Clarke not only made a full and frank admission to the offence - he apologised and even signed the officer's notebook.

The prosecutor said such an early admission of guilt was "a rare thing" in such an offence.

When Clarke's blood was analysed, he was found to have 208 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood - the limit being 80.

John Dove, defending, said: "I invite you to impose the maximum level of credit.

"Until today, he was a man of good character and unfortunately he will lose that.


"He'd been to the pub with his brother and came home that evening.

"Unfortunately he was feeling down and made the foolish mistake of getting into his car and driving.

"He has learned he lesson the hard way and he is remorseful.

"He has been left with a small scar on his nose as a constant reminder - and he's ashamed.

"Mr Clarke is an apprentice and will be an overhead linesman in the electric supply industry.

"Once qualified, he will be going up and down electric poles ad fixing wires over railways.

The Leader:

"He has told his employer [of the court proceedings] and he has their full support.

"During his inevitable driving ban, he will of course suffer - he lives in a remote area and needs his car to go to college and rugby training, as he plays for the village rugby team."

Clarke received a £600 fine and must pay £85 costs, as well as a £240 victim surcharge.

He was banned from driving for 23 months.