A drink-driver who pulled out at speed in front of a police officer at a roundabout and waved at them was found to be more than three times the legal limit.

Arfon Hughes, of High Street in Holywell, appeared at Mold Magistrates Court on Thursday.

The 56-year-old admitted that on March 10 this year, he drove a Vauxhall Insignia on the A5151 at Lloc after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in his breath exceeded the prescribed limit.

Prosecutor Rhian Jackson told the court that at around 4.40pm on the day of the offence, a police officer was approaching a roundabout on the A5151.

The officers noticed the defendant was also approaching the roundabout at speed from the A55 off slip.

He continued without braking - only stopping when he came across the officer's path, when he waved and then drove away.


The officer followed Hughes as he made his way towards Holywell, then spoke to him when he stopped in a McDonald's car park.

The defendant appeared "unsteady" when exiting his vehicle, smelled of intoxicants and "looked glazed."

Following a positive reading for alcohol at the roadside, he was arrested and taken into custody, where he provided an evidential reading of 108 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.

The legal limit is 35.

A probation officer told the court: "He said he thought he was ok to drive - and accepted his level of responsibility as driving under the influence.

"But he was assessed as having some minimising attitudes. He said he was sorry for his actions but when questioned on the impact on other road users and consequences, he had limited understanding of the potential effect his behaviour could have had.

"He does factory work in Greenfield and there are no issues with regards to his financial situation.

"Regarding his alcohol use, he states he's been drinking daily for years now.

"He recognised this is a difficulty in his life and is willing to reduce his intake."

Alun Williams, defending, made limited submissions to the court.

The Leader:

He acknowledged there were "clearly aggravating features" in his client's case - namely the distance he'd driven and the manner of the driving.

Deputy District Judge Paul Conlon emphasised to Hughes that he'd been more than three times the legal limit.

He handed down a 12 month community order with 20 days of rehabilitation activity, a three month alcohol treatment requirement and 65 hours of unpaid work.

Hughes was banned from driving for 26 months and must pay a £114 victim surcharge, as well as £85 costs.