A MAN has been locked up after stabbing a shop worker in the head in a terrifying revenge attack.

Michael Oldfield, of Lon Dderwen in Connah's Quay, appeared at Mold Crown Court on Wednesday afternoon.

The 39-year-old had previously admitted possession of an offensive weapon (a baseball bat), unlawful wounding and possession of a bladed article.

Ryan Rothwell, prosecuting, told the court the offences were committed across two incidents; the first taking place on the afternoon of December 5 last year.

On that day, police attended reports of an 'altercation' on Flint High Street.


Oldfield was identified and cautioned, and after his arrest he admitted to officers that he was carrying a baseball bat in his trousers.

He said he had it to "do that f****** shopkeeper in with," referring to the proprietor of Flint Polski Shop.

Oldfield said he'd had a fight in the shop previously.

He was produced in the Magistrates Court the next day and was granted bail.

He then returned to the Flint Polski Shop early in the morning on January 2, with his hood up.

He approached the cashier, Aram Rashid, and leaned over the counter before saying: "Hiya bro, remember me?"

Oldfield then stabbed the victim in the head with a knife, before fleeing the scene.

Mr Rothwell said prior to the attack, he could be seen on local authority CCTV walking around in the street outside, talking to himself and gesturing erratically.

Mr Rashid attended the hospital as a result of the incident - but very fortunately, his head wound was superficial and didn't require gluing or stitching.

The Leader: Michael Oldfield (NWP)Michael Oldfield (NWP) (Image: North Wales Police)Mr Rothwell categorised the January incident as a 'revenge' attack.

Oliver King, defending, asked the court to give his client credit for his guilty pleas - emphasising that in the case of the bat, it hadn't been taken out, used or brandished.

"When he was arrested he was forthcoming about his intention but it didn't get that far thank goodness," he said.

Speaking of the knife attack, Mr King continued: "It could have been so much worse.

"Mr Rashid could have sustained a far more serious, or indeed fatal, injury.

"The fact it was a fairly superficial injury is more by good fortune than design."

Mr King told the court his client had experienced a difficult childhood and had developed issues with drink and drugs.

"This caused his mental health to spiral," he said.

"He was prescribed anti-psychotic medication but at the time of this offence he stopped taking it, which allowed his temper and emotions to boil over even more.

"Whilst in custody, he has been properly assessed and diagnosed with personality disorder.

"Previous attempts to rehabilitate him have failed; his attitudes are so entrenched. But he acknowledges he needs to get help."

Judge Rhys Rowlands told the defendant: "You have a truly awful record and have been before the court with depressing regularity over the years.

The Leader:

"There are undoubtedly mental health issues here but you stopped taking your medication and were taking a mix of illicit drugs and drink at the time."

The Judge concluded there was no alternative to immediate custody, jailing the defendant for a total of 33 months.

A 10 restraining order was put in place to bar the defendant from the Flint Polski Shop and to prevent him from contacting or approaching Mr Rashid, as well as another staff member.