TWO men are to be sentenced after a "chance encounter" saw them attacking a prisoner they weren't even supposed to be able to meet.

Oliver Wilkinson, of Ffordd Llandygai in Llandygai, appeared at Wrexham Magistrates Court on Tuesday afternoon alongside co-defendant Dayle Owens, who gave his address as HMP Parc.

Both men admitted one offence of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, which took place at HMP Berwyn on February 27 last year, against Jamie Mitchell.

Prosecutor Suzanne Cartwright told the court that at the time, Mitchell was an inmate at the prison.

He had entered a hall at the establishment in order to attend a workshop, when he encountered Wilkinson and Owens, both aged 33.

The defendants both assaulted him by hitting him to the head, face and torso.

Owens was seen kicking Mitchell to the head whilst Wilkinson stamped on him.


The situation was stopped by prison officers, after which Mitchell was assessed and found to have bruising and swelling to his face, as well as a 2cm cut on his forehead.

Mike Pugh, defending Owens, said: "Clearly no dangerous weapon was use - but a shoed foot was used in the commission of the offence.

"It was an impulsive incident. 

"They came across Mr Mitchell whilst at HMP Berwyn and I caveat that by accepting the emotive backdrop in this case, which may come out in due course.

"Mr Owens is serving eight years and makes his admissions at the earliest opportunity."

Ceri Lewis, defending Wilkinson, said: "Obviously Mr Wilkinson's is a different position to that of Mr Owens - there is some history, so to speak.

"But this was a chance encounter; albeit at no point should either of the defendants have had any contact with the complainant.

The Leader:

"Mr Wilkinson had made the prison aware and there was paperwork in place to stop them having any contact."

District Judge Gwyn Jones told the defendants: "I'm satisfied that the sentencing powers of this court are inadequate.

"You are to be committed to the crown court for sentence."

Both men are to be sentenced at Mold Crown Court on February 29.