CUSTOMERS had to be evacuated from a Flintshire Wetherspoons pub over the weekend following a fire.

The fire broke out at The Central Hotel JD Wetherspoons on Chester Road in Shotton, Deeside,  yesterday afternoon (Sunday, January 21) shortly after 3pm.

Eddie Gershon, a JD Wetherspoon spokesperson, said: "The bottom part of the front door frame caught fire early afternoon. The smoke was then blown inside the pub. 

"A member of staff spotted the smoke coming from under the wooden skirting boards. They then evacuated all the customers and called the fire brigade. 

"The staff member then spotted the fire outside and started to put out the fire with water prior to the fire brigade arriving.

"The pub reopened at 6pm once it got the all clear from the fire brigade."

A North Wales Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "Two crews from Deeside were called at 15:16hrs yesterday to a commercial property on Chester Road West, Shotton, Flintshire to a fire involving a small section of the door frame.


"The cause of the fire is thought to be accidental, involving a carelessly discarded cigarette."

Thankfully, nobody was injured during the incident.

The pub has now reopened and continues to operate as normal.