A WREXHAM woman who was a registered carer for her now ex-husband stabbed him twice after a night of drinking, a court heard.

Helen Jones, of Piercey Avenue in Marchwiel, appeared via video link from HMP Styal before Mold Crown Court for sentence on Thursday, January 4.

The 54-year-old, at a Plea and Trial Preparation Hearing on November 17, 2023, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent. 

Nicolas Williams, prosecuting, explained that Jones had been in a relationship with the complainant, Martin Edwards, for 14 years and the pair were married for a decade.

She was also a registered carer for Mr Edwards, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 2013.

According to Mr Edwards, Jones had an 'alcohol problem' which led her to 'drink most days'.

He also told police that she had been 'violent with him on a number of occasions' due to this.

The incident in question took place in the early hours of the morning on October 13, 2023.

Jones and Mr Edwards had been out drinking in Wrexham town centre with the defendant's father.

She became angry when her father left the pub without saying goodbye to her, the court heard.

Jones was said to have become 'argumentative' and they continued to row when they arrived home.


Mr Williams told the court that, amid the arguing, Mr Edwards took off his clothes and went to bed.

Jones left the bedroom before returning with a knife and she proceeded to climb on top of the sheets, 'kneeling' over her then-husband with the knife.

The defendant then punched the helpless Mr Edwards in the face and head before stabbing him to the 'inside of his right thigh'.

The complainant then asked 'what are you doing?' before Jones landed another blow with the knife to his left arm, leaving 'blood all over the duvet'.

Mr Edwards then got up out of bed, put on a pair of tracksuit bottoms and made his way to a neighbour's flat, who used a belt to try and stop the bleeding.

The neighbour then took the complainant to the hospital where he was treated for 'two lacerations' which were 'non-life threatening'.

Upon being arrested, and while still drunk, Jones was heard to say: "I'll be in here again next week. When I get out, I'm going to f*****g kill him."

In a victim personal statement, Mr Edwards said that the incident had had a 'massive effect' on his life.

The Leader: PIC: Jones was sentenced at Mold Crown Court.

He added that his daughter was now applying to become his carer in place of Jones.

He said: "I cannot believe it has come to this. Something needs to be done to make sure this never happens again."

Richard Edwards, defending, said that Jones 'does regret' what happened and is 'remorseful' for her actions.

He added that, following Mr Edwards' diagnosis in 2013, she had 'turned to alcohol for comfort' and she now 'accepts' she has an issue with that.

It was said in court that, 'resentment' and 'friction' had built up over the years due to the couple spending 'little time apart' from one another.

Staff at HMP Styal described Jones as a 'model prisoner', adding that she is 'addressing her issues as best she can' while in prison.

Sentencing Jones, Judge Rhys Rowlands described the incident as an 'extremely serious case'.

He added that it was 'only by sheer good fortune' that Mr Edwards had not been seriously injured.

Jones wept as she was sentenced to a period of 42 months in jail. 

Speaking after sentencing, North Wales Police Detective Constable James Hughes said: “We welcome the sentence passed today. This incident could easily have ended in tragic circumstances, however thankfully the victim is expected to make a full recovery.

“This incident highlights how domestic abuse doesn’t just affect the life of the victim but the family members of both the victim and the suspect.”