A WEDDING was "ruined" after police were called to a "skirmish" involving several guests at a hotel, a court heard.

Phillip Blackwell, of Y Wern in Wrexham, appeared at Wrexham Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

The 34-year-old admitted that on August 13, he used threatening or abusive words or behaviour.

Prosecutor Grace Carson told the court that on the day in question, police were called by a female who reported her partner had been assaulted at the Ramada Plaza Hotel in the city centre.

Due to the commotion in the background, the operator was unable to take any further details at that point and officers were sent to the scene.

When they got there, they found a man named Scott Williams on the floor with a shoe missing and the defendant on top of him - with both throwing punches at each other.

They were ordered to stop and Blackwell did - but Williams continued to lash out.

Onlookers told the police Scott Williams had assaulted a number of people at the hotel that evening.

The Leader:

The Leader reported in October how he received a fine for his part in the incident.

Elzbeth Kenny, defending Blackwell, said her client's mental health at the time of the incident "wasn't at its best."

She explained: "He'd gone to his brother's wedding, expecting a beautiful day - and it was.

"Unfortunately, you heard about the other defendant Scott Williams on the day police were called to this 'skirmish.'

"Williams had attacked several men at the wedding and one of the female guests.

"He was still trying to thump Mr Blackwell as he went to see the police."

Ms Kenny said while her client was "worse for wear under the influence of alcohol," he complied immediately and fully with the officers' orders.

The fact he wasn't arrested that night 'speaks volumes' about his conduct, she said, adding: "It wasn't until around August or September when this incident happened that he was medicated for his psychosis.

"It's a shame. The wedding was ruined - by Scott Williams. 

"But he (Blackwell) didn't help by reacting rather than letting police deal with it."

The Magistrates handed Blackwell a fine of £80 and ordered him to pay a £32 victim surcharge, as well as £85 costs.