A New Year's Day drug driver has been ordered to fork out more than £2,000 after he was caught with two illegal substances in his system.

Cameron Willis, of Llys Y Wern in Sychdyn, appeared for sentence at Wrexham Magistrates Court on Monday.

The 20-year-old had been found guilty after a trial of two counts of drug driving at Lloc in Flintshire - one involving benzoylecgonine (a cocaine breakdown product also referred to as BZE), and the other MDMA.

READ MORE: Wrexham man jailed for burglary and theft of charity box

Prosecutor Justin Espie told the court that at around 11.30pm on January 1 this year, police on patrol pulled the defendant over after spotting him near Caerwys with his fog lights illuminated.

A positive roadside drugs swipe led to his arrest, and in custody he provided evidential samples of no less than 102 microgrammes of BZE per litre of blood (the limit being 50) and 38 microgrammes of MDMA per litre of blood (the limit being 10.)

Probation officer Pamela Roberts said: "He did express remorse and hasn't taken any drugs since the offence in January.

"He explained that prior to the offence, he'd been in Manchester at a DJ set and was given drugs by some of his peers.

The Leader:

"He was not aware the drugs were still in his system.

"Clearly, he doesn't want to put himself in this situation again."

James Fisher, defending, told the court his client had admitted driving with drugs in his system - and that the trial he lost had been over whether he'd been given a part of his sample by North Wales Police for independent analysis, had he wished to.

"Mr Willis works long periods of time in a restaurant as a cook," Mr Fisher explained.

"He is remorseful and has cut out friends who are bad influences.

"He hasn't touched drugs again since and is a person of previous good character, which is something he knows he loses today.

READ MOREBuckley man sentenced for string of offences on girlfriend

"On the day, Mr Willis was calm and compliant with officers."

Willis was handed £1,000 in fines and was ordered to pay a £400 victim surcharge, as well as £620 costs.

He was also banned from driving for 18 months.