A MAN has been spared jail after he admitted biting a hospital porter.

Jordan Duncan, aged 31 and of Waring Court in Hightown, appeared at Wrexham Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

He admitted that on September 9 last year, he assaulted Anthony Slwinski, an emergency worker.

The court heard that police were called to Wrexham Maelor Hospital on the day of the offence after reports that a patient had become "problematic" and had assaulted a member of staff.

READ MORE: Man told to "behave" by Judge after biting doorman outside city centre bar

Mr Slwinski, a porter at the hospital, had been asked to move Duncan to a ward.

But he "didn't want to be moved" - he wanted to self-discharge, and bit Mr Slwinski's forearm with force.

Emma Simoes, defending, told the court that her client had been rendered paraplegic following a collision, and is "bedbound."

"He rarely leaves the house," she explained, "and was sectioned just prior to this incident.

"He found it difficult coming to terms with his predicament and still fights it every day.

"He feels isolated and is incredibly depressed."

Ms Simoes concluded that Duncan accepted his actions on the day were unacceptable.

READ MORE: Former Wrexham man assaulted ex-girlfriend in Ellesmere Port

She invited the court to impose a conditional discharge, given there was little probation could do by way of an intervention and the offence had happened a year ago.

But District Judge Gwyn Jones said he didn't consider the suggestion to be an appropriate sentence, telling the defendant: "This was a very unpleasant incident.

"You behaved wholly inappropriately towards a member of staff at the Maelor Hospital.

"That person was doing his job, moving you from one area to another.

"It's not appropriate for you to use force against staff who were just carrying out their duties - however frustrated you may have felt.

The Leader:

"I do accept you have certain issues regarding your own personal health, but that's no excuse for you to have behaved in the way you did."

Duncan received a 16 week custodial sentence, but it was suspended for a year.

He must pay £85 costs, as well as £300 in compensation to Mr Slwinski.