A MAN and woman have been jailed for their part in a large scale incident of public violence and disorder.

The Leader reported in May last year on the jailing of a man named Thomas Clarke - who was deemed to have been a "ringleader" in a large scale public disturbance in April of that year.

A court heard the incident came about after a group of people believed a convicted sex offender was staying at a Caia Park property.

What began at around 8pm on April 11 as a group of around 30 people holding signs stating "get the nonces out" quickly escalated as people streamed the incident on social media.

Before long, hundreds of people filled the street and began shouting, some even throwing missiles at the property in question and at police.

Appearing in court on Tuesday morning were 32-year-old Nathan Scott, of Archer's Way in Wrexham, and 20-year-old Sophie Evans, of St Giles Crescent in Wrexham - both of whom had been found guilty after a trial of violent disorder for their involvement in the incident.

The court heard how eventually, members of the family in the attacked house were escorted out under police protection.

One of them received a cut to the leg after a bottle was thrown and another fell and dislocated a shoulder.

The Leader: An image from the incident courtesy of Mark RoweAn image from the incident courtesy of Mark Rowe (Image: Mark Rowe)

After they left, it took until 1am for the crowd to disperse - by which time most if not all of the windows of the house had been smashed and cars in the driveway were left dented with broken windows.

Catherine Elvin prosecuting, told the court the family had not even been able to return to their damaged home to collect belongings - such is their level of fear following the incident.

Ms Elvin told the court Scott had performed a leading role in the disorder by inciting the crowd, whilst Evans participated in the disorder.

Judge Niclas Parry was invited to consider the sentence given to Thomas Clarke last year when determining the appropriate sentence for Scott and Evans.

Paul Smith, defending Nathan Scott, told the court his client was in a "completely different" category to Clarke, and had not been in a leadership role.

He explained: "Mr Scott didn't arrive until about an hour after the group attended.

"He is not an instigator - he may have been loud and said a lot of things but in my submission his involvement is consistent with being a participant."

The Leader: Nathan Scott (NWP)Nathan Scott (NWP) (Image: North Wales Police)

Mr Smith said his client has ADHD, which was "not an excuse," but may have explained some of the defendant's impulsive behaviour.

He asked the court to show leniency given the impact Scott's remand in custody had already had on his partner, with whom he has a young child.

John Wyn Williams, defending Evans, said: "Sophie Evans at 20 is a very immature young woman and it may be that the court has impacted her life by remanding her in custody; she's now served the equivalent of a four month sentence and for a young woman with limited previous convictions that has echoed heavily with her.

"Her involvement is limited to threats alone; her family tried to dissuade her from attending there was an element of bravado driven from the emotion of the moment.

"She has a history of PTSD, borderline personality disorder and ADHD.

"She has learned her lesson and there is a realistic prospect of rehabilitation."

Judge Niclas Parry told the defendants: "The residents of Caia Park were subjected to an appalling incident of violent disorder which began as a peaceful protest based on ill-informed knowledge involving some 30 people.

The Leader: An image from the sceneAn image from the scene (Image: UGC)

"It escalated into what can only be described as a large scale public disorder lasting for hours; with as many as 400 people there.

"Heavily outnumbered by as many as four-to-one, even after reinforcements arrived, the police realised the incident was suddenly a so-called 'critical incident.'

"Reinforcements were drafted from the far corners of north Wales on an emergency basis."

Judge Parry said officers used their expertise at significant personal risk to save the family being targeted from "what was likely to be significant harm."

The incident was the cause of thousands of pounds worth of loss to the public purse, he said, adding: "Those in the house were left mentally scarred - one physically.

"Mr Scott, once you arrived you were one of the leaders of this appalling incident and you can only be described thereafter as a ringleader."

The Judge said Scott vocalised to as many people as possible the harm which should befall the family and arranged for police efforts to de-escalate the incident to be frustrated.

When officers tried to disperse the crowd, Scott made sure they didn't - and encouraged children to resist police too.

The Judge continued: "Your attitude to authority was only underlined when on hearing the verdict in your trial, you stood and hurled verbal abuse at the jury, accusing them of being paedophile lovers."

The Leader: Sophie Evans (North Wales Police)Sophie Evans (North Wales Police) (Image: NWP)

Judge Parry said the outburst at the end of the trial was mirrored not only by Evans, but 12 people in the public gallery - leading to tears and "obvious distress" among members of the jury, who had attended to fulfil their public duty and had reached verdict after careful consideration of the evidence.

Speaking to Evans, the Judge added: "You were caught up in this - and your behaviour escalated.

The Leader:

"You were clearly enjoying the extreme difficulties the police were experiencing and you were clearly seen chanting with the crowd."

The Judge jailed Scott for three-and-a-half years, and Evans for 16 months.

A five year restraining order was put in place to prevent either of them from contacting any of the victims or mentioning them on social media.